Fusor.net is hopelessly lost into the noise.

Announcements and items of immediate importance.
Bob Reite

Re: Fusor.net is hopelessly lost into the noise.

Post by Bob Reite » Sat May 16, 2015 2:39 am

The "traction orange" that you finally settled on looks OK on my monitor.
The more reactive the materials, the more spectacular the failures.
The testing isn't over until the prototype is destroyed.

Andrew Robinson

Post by Andrew Robinson » Sat May 16, 2015 4:09 am

Yup, the orange looks great.
I can wire anything directly into anything! I'm the professor!

Dave Scheers

Post by Dave Scheers » Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:50 pm

Perhaps you should split the forum in two
    • for novice, new users. about physical stuff and basic ideas and the one grid design
    • for advanced users about concepts, polywell, nuclear stuff etc.
New users come here to find general information, tips and trucs but have to read 1000+ pages
Advanced users do not want to read that stuff i guess.

Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull » Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:43 am

Newbs need not read a 1000 pages, They just refuse to read the FAQs and understand what is in them. Most folks landing here are just not prepared for the large span of disciplines where some foreknowledge is needed. Too many have five thumbs on each hand and no tools needed to perform the work both in terms of physical tools and mental ones as well. In the best instances, the desire is certainly there, but the skill sets are not.

Again, this effort is to do fusion within an amateur science setting and is not a classic DIY lark. It is a long term, concentrated effort that demands much from anyone genuinely serious. Reading the FAQs is a number one mission.

The older fusioneer folks here need not read the FAQs....They own them! They are part of their core understanding at the very primal level. They are as ingrained as morse code is to a 20 year veteran brass pounder.

We don't need to do a thing to the forums....They have stood the test of time for the use of the serious amateur scientist. Unfortunately there is nothing we can do about the myriad of lazy newbs, or the "Gimme a quick rinse in what it takes to do fusion" DIYers.

Note* I have set aside a bit of time on the afternoon of HEAS to discuss the "personal path to fusion" issues both by the older fusioneers and the newbs that show up. Much can be learned from this, I feel.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
Retired now...Doing only what I want and not what I should...every day is a saturday.

Cameron Palte

Post by Cameron Palte » Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:59 am

Just one quick opinion since I am partially guilty of the problems the site has been having.

People are used to general forums. You have a question about the vacuum you ask it in the vacuum technology section - it is uncommon to read all the FAQs or ask questions in one subforum.

There are several ways to mitigate this problem partially by providing a notice when someone wants to post a topic in one of the other sections that the section is for advanced discussion only and not basic questions.

However, another useful thing I believe would be to not delete posts in the new user chat area. This would allow a database of common questions to be generated making it easier for users to search for an answer.

Dave Scheers

Post by Dave Scheers » Sun Jul 19, 2015 7:17 pm

Just to make a few things clear:

1* i've read all papers on home + more that is not on the website + all patents + a lot of forum details & i understand it all + discussed it ;-)
Ok, those pages are not a thousand, but they are at least a couple of hundred. After that i still do not know where to start.
Yes, indeed i am a newbie, i know little and surely i do not "own the required knowledge". But i am still planning to build it.

2* i host, manage and installed a lot of these fora past 15 years. It is just my professional recommendation, if you want to make things clearer: split it up in Beginner and Advanced

PS1. topic notices can be seen in your personal user control panel (here obviously defaulted as off)
If you want to subscribe to the topic: you will be notified: How to do that? Scroll down until this picture: click on the subscribe link.
subscribe.jpg
subscribe.jpg (17.65 KiB) Viewed 4164 times
PS2. I think this is an excellent guidance: viewtopic.php?f=34&t=10096

Jason C Wells

Post by Jason C Wells » Mon Sep 14, 2015 3:44 am

** Edit: I didn't realize how old this topic was. I don't know how it caught my eye. Apologies for dead horse kicking. **

Maybe the moderation system could be more distributed. I'm not sure how fancy the features of the board software are. But if you allowed the "senior" participants to moderate/reclassify posts you could probably maintain the "organization" of the site. And by senior I mean "not just Richard."

The thing about newbies is that they are new. Some of them are also very young. I am not a patient old grey beard in this community, but I am a patient salt-and-peppery-but-not-really-grey-beard as much as I am able in my engineering discipline. I like newbies. I like teaching.

Storage and retrieval of information is a hard problem. It's a job for librarians really. But here we are on the wide old internet, the same internet that was invented by some guy at some place that wanted to share information about some topic. Now let me think. What was that all about? :) The whole mess was never really designed to be kept organized. It was designed to be connected and linked and decentralized. Maybe decentralizing the admin would help. "Please moderate three posts tonight before continuing" or something like that.

No solutions given here. Just food for thought.

Regards,
Jason