Editing one's posts on the board?

Announcements and items of immediate importance.
Rich Feldman

Editing one's posts on the board?

Post by Rich Feldman » Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:07 pm

Is the Edit button broken, or turned off? Finn reported trouble. I just tried to edit a post a few hours old, that had maybe a couple dozen views & no replies, and saw no E button.
Richard Feldman

Richard Hull
Site Admin

Re: Editing one's posts on the board?

Post by Richard Hull » Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:03 pm

Interesting.....Everyone needs to be able to edit their posts for a few days after posting....

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
Retired now...Doing only what I want and not what I should...every day is a saturday.

Frank Sanns
Site Admin

Post by Frank Sanns » Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:13 pm

It used to be that forum members had an unlimited amount of time to edit or delete but this caused problems. It was reduced to one week and still, on occasion, for reasons unknown, people would kill a thread or threads. For that reason, I cut the edit or delete time down to two hours. I figured that gave enough time for the OP to fix things before comments started to flow on the thread. It also prevented shifting content as the days went by.

Apparently more than one of you feel that that is not long enough though and that is fair. It is a balancing act that should favor the majority of posters and not the ones that are not following the rules. For that reason, I have now set the site to allow two days for editing and deleting. Let's see how that goes.

richnormand

Post by richnormand » Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:38 pm

A bit longer that two hours would be nice.
In my case I'll often post late at night and on awaking the following morning realise I should do an edit (having slept on it!!) of some sort.
So one day or two looks quite reasonable as you pointed out. Jsut keep an eye out to see if that causes issues.
I do agree that if several replies have already happened you don't want the thread to look like Swiss cheese though.

Richard Hull
Site Admin

Post by Richard Hull » Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:51 am

The biggest no-no and unforgivable sin here is to originate a post thread and then after several responses delete the original. The reason for the original limiting of edit privileges is due to this being the #1 reason. With the extension of this priviledge by Frank, those who really make a mistake or accidentally, mis-quote or get a number wrong can now have more time to clean-up what is often a hastily written post. It is not for deletion of entire posts or responses, unless a response, on reflection, added little to the original posts thread.

Naturally, as the site's garbage man, I will continue to delete all advertisements outside the scope of the forums, ridiculous word salads made by deluded minds, and the occasional accidental double postings, (Leaving one intact, of course).

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
Retired now...Doing only what I want and not what I should...every day is a saturday.

Andrew Robinson

Post by Andrew Robinson » Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:43 pm

24 hours seems adequate in my opinion. Gives you enough time to sleep on it.
I can wire anything directly into anything! I'm the professor!