Global admin issues

Announcements and items of immediate importance.
Richard Hull
Site Admin

Global admin issues

Post by Richard Hull » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:00 pm

To whoever is working on the site.

I tried to delete all the "pinked out" gas Turbine thread (gibberish) I succeeded in deleting all the posts. In the past, upon deleting each post I was automatically returned to the thread to delete the next posting. Now, I have to go back to the board index and reselect the thread and delete the next post in line.

Finally, when I had deleted the last posting in the bad thread, leaving no posts in the original topic, the entire original topic banner would disappear from the forum's listing. This was great, as the last vestage of the post was gone forever. I need this capability again. As of now the pinked out turbine post is still displayed in the Other Forms of Fusion forum. If you click on it, there is nothing.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
Retired now...Doing only what I want and not what I should...every day is a saturday.

Frank Sanns
Site Admin

Re: Global admin issues

Post by Frank Sanns » Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:20 am

Richard,

The SOB working on the site is me. lol

There is good news and there is bad news. There does not appear to be a way to make the new system work the way the old one did. However, there is now a moderator control panel that will allow you to see things all in one place so you do not have parse through the entire forum to see potential problem posts.

At the top left of each of the pages is a series of shortcuts. One is Quick Links. One is FAQ but they are phpBB FAQ and not fusor FAQ. Next is a series of Administration and Moderation icons. You should at least be able to see the MCP (Moderator Control Panel) once you are logged in. Click that and you will have several options to view the entire forum. You can see reported pink posts in one place and you can now Mark and click an action like Delete or move or anything else.

To me it is cumbersome compared to the old method but the persons writing the programming for the shell that we all use seem to think this is a better way. I will reserve judgement until we have a little time with all of these knew changes.

I will say again that I have been avoiding the updates but there were some critical elements that needed to be brought up to current. Hopefully it will be another two years before we get too far behind with security and operation and need to update again.

I am posting this in public as I think we are going to add one or two "light" moderators to keep the spam off the site and they will need this info.

Richard Hull
Site Admin

Re: Global admin issues

Post by Richard Hull » Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:31 am

Alas, It does appear there is no way to delete a topic once posted, even if all posts in it are deleted. That is kind of sad, I think.

Thanks, however for explaining the tools.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
Retired now...Doing only what I want and not what I should...every day is a saturday.