Logo Update

Announcements and items of immediate importance.
Andrew Robinson

Logo Update

Post by Andrew Robinson » Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:46 pm

Frank,

Here is the logo again, updated to the new format for this version of phpBB. Give it a try and see how it comes out ok. The logo seems to be located in the following directory: /board/styles/prosilver/theme/images/site_logo.gif

site_logo.gif
site_logo.gif (4.56 KiB) Viewed 414 times

I will update you on security related stuff offline when it comes available.

Cheers,
Andrew
I can wire anything directly into anything! I'm the professor!

Frank Sanns
Site Admin

Re: Logo Update

Post by Frank Sanns » Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:45 am

Yes, you would think it is that easy but this new update does not get the logo from there as the fusor gif IS IN THAT LOCATION. So much is gone from the Admin panel and the way this thing works that it is asinine. Even the deuterium question is wiped out even though it is still in the back end. They put everything elsewhere! This is maddening.

Andrew Robinson

Post by Andrew Robinson » Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:27 am

Hmm ok... Do you have any direct access? SCP, SFTP, etc.? Or do you only get access via the admin control panel? Sounds like thats how we're gonna have to get things back to normal. Doing a lot of direct file editing.

Andrew Robinson

Post by Andrew Robinson » Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:28 am

Ah wait, I see you got the logo back up. Excellent! Whats next on the list to troubleshoot? Anything else I can help with outside security stuff in progress?

Frank Sanns
Site Admin

Post by Frank Sanns » Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:51 am

The site does not respond immediately once things are FTP into place. I finally got fed up and went to dinner. When I came back the fusor logo was working. It was not a cache issue either. It makes it tough when you do what you are supposed to do to fix the issue but it takes half an hour to actually work.

I have had to suspend registrations temporarily due to the high number of spam registrations. With the current standard Captcha there are nearly 100 spam registrations per day. We have to get some clever question field back on the new registration page to keep the spam out. This site could turn ugly in hours right now if I allow registrations back on. It is too much for a handful of administrators to deal with. A near foolproof field with a question and one more more answers or the like is what I am on the hunt for now. The old one is vanished during the upgrade. I have looked at some third party add ons but non seem to work as well as our old question and answer. Any suggestions there would be quite helpful. Other than that I THINK the site is now fully operational and backed up as it is.

Thanks for the help Andrew.

Richard Hull
Site Admin

Post by Richard Hull » Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:58 am

Another problem..... when typing a long post or editing a long post, like the update of the neutron club, a severe issue is faced. As you type a new post and approach 40 or so lines, or if you are editing the neutron club listing, adding a new name 60 lines down, the auto scroll to the next line fails and pops you back up to some predetermined point in the post. You must scroll back down and upon typing the first character, it logs it ok, but immediately pops the post back up to the "line limit". This forces you to scroll back down, type another character, etc, etc.. Is there some limit set here in words or in lines to a posting? Please check this. This seeming auto scroll typing or editing line limit never occured in the old version.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
Retired now...Doing only what I want and not what I should...every day is a saturday.

Rex Allers

Post by Rex Allers » Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:42 pm

For Frank, two thoughts...

I wonder if maybe you didn't see changes, like the logo, because you needed to flush the cache in your browser? (You were looking locally at a saved copy of the fusor pages.)

I was just trying to read about anti spam for phpBB. Maybe something on this page could help:
https://www.phpbbservices.com/2015/11/2 ... -problems/

The fancy reCaptcha sounds interesting. I guess you have to go to Google and register to use it on your forum. One other option, if it exists in this version, is 'Account activation > By user (email verification)'. I gather the user has to give his email and respond to a message that gets sent to him before he is activated.

I have very little direct experience but thought maybe some of the above might help. Good Luck.
Rex Allers

Finn Hammer

Post by Finn Hammer » Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:34 pm

Rex Allers wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:42 pm
I was just trying to read about anti spam for phpBB. Maybe something on this page could help:
https://www.phpbbservices.com/2015/11/2 ... -problems/
A snip from the bottom of the page you pointed at:
-------------------------------------
If you don’t mind paying $8USD a year, my customers report 100% success with Cleantalk. You will have to download the modification or extension, create an account on Cleantalk and enter your registration key in phpBB. It’s worth the time and expense.
-------------------------------------

I volunteer to pay the yearly fee as long as I am on the list.

Cheers, Finn Hammer

Andrew Robinson

Post by Andrew Robinson » Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:44 pm

Frank Sanns wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:51 am
We have to get some clever question field back on the new registration page to keep the spam out.
This is what I use on one of my sites hahahaha. Obviously more of a joke than an actual solution for fusor.net.

Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (6.01 KiB) Viewed 214 times

I am going to setup a clone of the site again in a VM so I can help you troubleshoot in a development environment. Will try to get a solution to the deuterium question problem here soon.

Andrew Robinson

Post by Andrew Robinson » Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:48 pm

Frank,

What version of phpBB are we on now? phpBB3 is the only thing I can find in the public source.