A Nightmare editing fusioneer listings

Announcements and items of immediate importance.
Richard Hull
Site Admin

A Nightmare editing fusioneer listings

Post by Richard Hull » Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:28 am

There is still a grave issue with long post editing! It has been so since the very beginning of this new effort. It is the only major complaint I have.

On a long post you can't effectively edit without pulling your hair out.

I challenge any admin, who dares, to enter the fusioneers listing. click on edit function and go somewhere deep into it where there is an open space and type......."The fault is not in our own stars, but in ourselves."

Once you have spent several minutes doing this, edit out the word "own".

Lastly, add the date to the end of the corrected sentence.

Now try and Delete the entire line you just typed. (be very careful not to delete any Fusioneer data)

If you can do this at all, please fix this maddening posting text limit editing issue.

If successful, please delete this thread.......

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
Retired now...Doing only what I want and not what I should...every day is a saturday.

Frank Sanns
Site Admin

Re: A Nightmare editing fusioneer listings

Post by Frank Sanns » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:46 pm

Richard,

I was traveling and took a bit of a break from working on the site. Before I took a respite, I made sure the word counts where sufficient to allow long posts. Post much longer and more words than the Fusioneers post by many times.

It seems to be working just fine for me so tried it by temporarily testing out other users privileges and had zero trouble scrolling or posting. In fact I put in two TEST-FS in the text fields above the headers for Scroungers and at the end with zero problem. It may be something with a setting on your computer unless somebody else can say they are having problems in any way.

Maybe somebody can copy and past a long literary or technical article in text to see if anybody else has difficulty.

Thanks.

Richard Hull
Site Admin

Post by Richard Hull » Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:45 am

Hmmm....I assumed you tried to edit deep in the fusioneer listing as I suggested. If so and it worked. It might be the fact that I am using XP with the last update of 2012, which I refuse to upgrade to a newer browser. I am going to leap onto a copy of chrome that I have and see if it has the same issue.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Retired now...Doing only what I want and not what I should...every day is a saturday.

Richard Hull
Site Admin

Post by Richard Hull » Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:03 am

I went onto chrome off of explorer and it works OK. Looks like I'll be using chrome in future to visit Fusor.net.

Richard Hull

Frank Sanns
Site Admin

Post by Frank Sanns » Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:20 am

The best problems are ones that I do not have to fix. :-) Glad it is working for you.

Bob Reite

Post by Bob Reite » Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:56 am

Even the latest version of Internet Explorer is very poor at following current HTML5 standards. Firefox even has issues with some sites. Google Chrome is my browser of choice now.
The more reactive the materials, the more spectacular the failures.
The testing isn't over until the prototype is destroyed.

Rex Allers

Post by Rex Allers » Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:24 am

The browser situation is getting ugly. I've used Firefox for more than 10 years, at first because it seemed more open and smart than IE and it wasn't Microsoft. Quickly, add-ons became the main reason to like it. I use several Firefox add-ons that I depend on now that I am used to having them.

The Mozilla people have decided to change the interface that add-on writers can use for FF add-ons, making their existing features difficult or impossible. I updated Firefox to the latest version a few weeks back and it screwed up everything I was accustomed to. Took me days to get back to a place I didn't hate. I'm now running a version of Firefox a couple updates back with the add-ons I like, and I have turned off all Firefox updates.

I don't want to use Chrome because it is Google and they are already injected into far too much of my internet existence.

I don't like many of the improvements I'm forced into these days. I think I see more trauma to come as I hear Microsoft's plan is to force us to rent the privilege of using any of their software.

"Interesting" times. I may need to practice running Linux more.
Rex Allers

Richard Hull
Site Admin

Post by Richard Hull » Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:43 pm

I use chrome only as a backup to my now ancient IE in XP. It helps when a few sites in IE report ("not able to display page"). The "feature creature" will never stop crawling into software updates. This often crashes or interferes with stuff that has served us well for years. Yogi's sage, un-educated advice seem's was right....."Progress might have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long"...

It seems that in software, we take one step forward and often, two steps back as we are forced to constantly upgrade and relearn the same software. We often see old reliable, easy to use parts of software disappear in favor of more versatile, yet more difficult processes to impliment the same thing. As our choices in Feature Creature software expand, so does the complexity. About the time we get used to using it, they change it.

I have two windows 7 computers that I use in house and off line. Windows 7 is indeed good, but they will never go on line.

Richad Hull

Sarvesh Sadana

Post by Sarvesh Sadana » Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:02 pm

Macs are pretty intuitive and user friendly, IMO. Though, they do cost quite a bit.

Sarvesh

Bob Reite

Post by Bob Reite » Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:29 am

When support for Windows 7 goes away in 2020, the remaining Windows machines will have their drives formatted (after backing up data files) and Linux Mint installed. The few programs that require windows that I run will be run under WINE.
The more reactive the materials, the more spectacular the failures.
The testing isn't over until the prototype is destroyed.