How did you find our Fusor forum?

Announcements and items of immediate importance.
Frank Sanns
Site Admin

How did you find our Fusor forum?

Post by Frank Sanns » Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:38 am

The Fusor.net has been getting a HUGE amount of hits on the web. It is overloading our server allocations. It seems that the Bots are crushing us with hits with nearly 1 million per day. Our cost overages are getting out of hand and I think Paul is going to going on a fund drive to help keep the site up and funded.

I have disabled the robots from crawling the site every few seconds. You can lengthen out the time between pages but that does not really solve the issue. I have disabled the big offenders of the search engine bots which were really abusing the site.

It is important that people find us so my question to all of the people that have arrived here in the last 2 or 3 years, is how did you find Fusor.net?

It will be helpful in keeping a pathway open for new people to find us but not break the bank. Specific search engine? Word of mouth? Article? Something else? Please tell.

ian_krase

Re: How did you find our Fusor forum?

Post by ian_krase » Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:52 am

I'm pretty sure I found it by google, and by googling specific non-fusion-related info about vacuum tech.

John Myers

Post by John Myers » Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:36 am

I found the site the same way as Ian, wasn't looking for anything about fusion or fusors.

Samuel Berman

Post by Samuel Berman » Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:42 am

I found it by searching about fusors on google.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't make."

Chris Mullins

Post by Chris Mullins » Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:47 am

I found this site from a google search on fusors, after my son showed me the infamous Make magazine demo fusor article.

Count me in for a fund drive. It's difficult to overstate how much accumulated knowledge is here in old threads, and how valuable it is for a novice actually trying to learn and build something.

ian_krase

Post by ian_krase » Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:45 pm

Is it possible we could transfer, say, everything older than 2016 to a static site and then reboot the forum? If I'm not mistaken, static sites are cheap.

Is there a way to limit search-engine indexings to once every few weeks or something?

A little transparency about what the costs are plus a request for a donation would likely get some attention. Simply put, with the proliferation of free services a lot of people don't realize how much an independent site can cost.

Frank Sanns
Site Admin

Post by Frank Sanns » Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:38 am

The problem seems to be Google. It is hitting the site 20 times more than other search engines and nearly 750,000 times per day more than all of the normal users here. It is an obscene number.

Problem is that I see no way to slow down the number of hits on the site. We could reduce as is suggested, the size of the site using a static one for older posts but the shear number of hits is monstrous.

The other problem seems to be if you slow down Google too much per page view, it drops you out of the search engine hierarchy, and the site goes to the bottom of the list so many pages back that you are never found.

It is a scam if you ask me. There is no reason for this abuse. We have seen it ramp up and this month alone, it has pushed the site into more than $100 in overages just from Google alone.

How can a site like ours be parsed 23 BILLION times per month! I understand keeping links fresh but this is really burdening hosting plans.

John Futter

Post by John Futter » Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:19 pm

Frank
Time to call google help and ask them what they are doing

I found this site in 2004 (google) as I was applying for a job in an ion beam lab
IE I was up skilling myself for the interview

It worked

Rex Allers

Post by Rex Allers » Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:23 am

How I got here:

I don't remember exactly. It was shortly after Fukushima and I, like many, was learning about rad stuff and detection devices. I might have got here from searches about gamma spec or I might have found a reference from one of Geo's yahoo groups -- geiger or gamma spec.

I immediately grokked that this fusor thing was uber-nerdish. I wanted to be part. Unfortunately, my git-er-done is way slower as I age and too many other projects. I'll get there eventually.

The intense crawling of the forums sounds ugly. I try to avoid using google search, but not sure other options like Duck Duck Go aren't using the same data. All search results are horribly crappified vs 10 or 20 years ago. We must wade through pages of ad-driven BS and pay sites to find a nugget of real info. The promise of the WWW is being sullied by the money grubbers.

Early Google motto: "Don't be evil"
Alphabet: "Do the right thing" [Translation?: Make us Lots of Money]
The promise of WWW information sharing is being destroyed by monetization .

Just a thought -- did you try checking through any of the PHPBB forums about the problem? Maybe other similar sites are being abusively trawled and there might be some thoughts about defenses.
Rex Allers