The Hull prize!

Announcements and items of immediate importance.
Richard Hull
Site Admin

Re: The Hull prize!

Post by Richard Hull » Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:18 pm

As I have noted before. Get ready for massive coal plant construction in the near future when the global warming issue seems a distant joke we played on ourselves as we convert from all oil, and gas for transport, and heating to solely, electricity.

Electricity will literally be all there is for energy. We will convert quickly as folks start to freeze in winter unable to sustain $10.00/gallon fuel oil and natural gas disappears.

We are in a truly global market now, some of the lowest forms in the US haven't figured this out yet. If we don't have it in the ground, under our feet, we will be in a speculator based world wide bidding war for the foreseeable future.

The oil will ultimately be reserved and rationed for long haul truck trasport and railroad goods transport use. Railroads will make a big comeback and, in all metro corridors in the nation, be electrified.

We will throw nearly 100% of our energy needs on the grid and that means massive coal at first. There is nothing on the horizon or in the works. We can wring out hands and hope and pray for a mr clean energy but the crunch is upon us now!

Coal and fission are it, we need to get busy, but we fiddle and founder over ecological concerns as the media based public can still somewhat afford this luxury in their hearts, minds and their wallets. Let a large enough segment of the common joe get his "b-lls hung in the wringer, then Willow, Chad and al the other "nouveau concerned" will discover the power of the masses who will abandon Al's clarion call like yesterday's newspaper.

The time for choosing is upon us.

A good car battery, rationing gas at the pump and 1000 more coal plants is a good immediate first step.

I will post an idea I have fostered in the fusion energy future forum as this is not a good place to post future energy thoughts.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
Retired now...Doing only what I want and not what I should...every day is a saturday.

jam

Post by jam » Mon May 04, 2009 1:55 pm

This condition is too restrictive:

>5. It must produce at the above level continuously for 3 minutes.

Even the biggest player in the field used pulse fusion: Tokamak,General fusion, etc.

The levels should be calculated as a total for 180 sec, no matter how it is acheived.

Just a though.

Carl Willis

Post by Carl Willis » Mon May 04, 2009 4:57 pm

>This condition is too restrictive

I suspect your argument would be accepted (I know I would pay my part of this prize).

Of course, it's a moot point because years of observation teaches us that no amateurs build Polywells. Lots of armchair types like to talk about them, but among the real nuts-and-bolts hobby community they are without detectable following. The prize was offered to help goad the armchair contingent into actually doing something other than sitting-on-ass and bruiting. Seasoned pragmatists probably understand that the prize money won't go far toward paying for the experiment, but again, the point was to goad the armchair contingent into doing something and many of those guys don't mind sharing their view that Polywells are a cakewalk.

-Carl
Carl Willis
http://carlwillis.wordpress.com/
TEL: +1-505-412-3277

Richard Hull
Site Admin

Post by Richard Hull » Mon May 04, 2009 5:42 pm

Too restrictive!?

This is something that the average decent fusor does daily in the hands of the a amateur! Restrictive?

If an amateur polywell can't equal a silly little fusor, then why bother with the polywell at all?

The point of the prize is to at least drag the polywell up to the level of the fusor with proven performance.

Thus far, no amatuer polywell, no polywell fusion. The prize money is waiting.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Retired now...Doing only what I want and not what I should...every day is a saturday.

jam

Post by jam » Tue May 05, 2009 2:09 pm

Yes, it is too restrictive for any amateur.
The main difficulty will be in maintaining a strong magnetic field for 180 sec.
If you keep this, you are garantee never to give your prize.
If the goal of this exercise is to get some polywell working in the amateur field, then you should relax this only condition.

Richard Hull
Site Admin

Post by Richard Hull » Tue May 05, 2009 2:55 pm

I think fusion for any reasonable person is a continous process. For me the Tokamaks and the JET and others aren't really fusion machines. They can't keep them running. Is an automobile a real conveyance if you have to move about in 10 centimeter runs, make repairs, or allow cool down of the engine?

I think I would rather do continous fusion at .0000001% efficiency for $1000 than do fusion at 100.1% efficiency for .1 seconds for $100,000,000 and then have to make repairs.

I could probably do some fusion in a megamp arc in pressurized D2, but that is not a reactor system. Real fusion systems do fusion on and on and on in a fullish outpouring of fusion over real, comprehensible, useful time periods

As we fund the prize and make the rules, the claimant will rise to real normalized standards already in hand or walk away.

Richard Hull

DaveC

Post by DaveC » Tue May 05, 2009 6:34 pm

I agree with Richard and Carl. Those who award the prize, set the rules.

To my way of thinking, though a 180 sec time period of operation, is not restrictive, but rather definitive. This is long enough to demonstrate the process, and yet short enough that almost any system which relies on its heat capacity to help it deliver - can, in fact, do so.

Just my opinion...

Dave Cooper

Chris Bradley

Post by Chris Bradley » Fri May 08, 2009 11:18 am

A.Martin wrote:
> Even the biggest player in the field used pulse fusion: Tokamak,General fusion, etc.
There is something implicit in this comment that bugs me. I think it is the notion that amateurs merely play around, and should kneel humbly at the tableside of 'the big players' hoping for little crumbs to drop their way.

Why amateurs do what they do is up to them, and they do what they do for a whole host of reasons. What can be certainly said is that, as a corporate whole, they bring a wealth of talent in various guises that is in no way secondary or imbues any obligation to run after the coat-tails of those who are otherwise 'institutionalised'.

Am I suggesting that amateurs will be the ones to make some fantastic scientific advance, ahead of and bettering the 'biggest players' - no, of course not.

Am I suggesting that amateurs WON'T be the ones to make some fantastic scientific advance, ahead of and bettering the 'biggest players' - no, certainly not!

Susan160

Post by Susan160 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:06 pm

Did anyone ever win this "Hull-Willis Prize"?

Richard Hull
Site Admin

Post by Richard Hull » Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:35 pm

Absolutely not! No way anyone here even attempted to win the prize. No effort was even started. This is partially why the prize was offered on my part.......

My main priority was to spur someone on to actually do it.
My second priority was to prove to myself that not one living entity championing amateur polywells or P+B11 fusion and blowing wind across the decks about these technologies packed even a fraction of the gear needed to make any of it happen.

I now have exactly 26 days left to back up my boast as do all the folks who really deeply believe in this effort to claim it. After that time, I am officially retired and, as stated, will no longer back the prize and I assume that the prize will morph to the Willis Prize, though I can't speak for Carl on this.

Remember, only self-funded amateurs are allowed and must operate at the fusor level of operation continuously, (with sufficient proof), for 3 minutes, (180 seconds), have only for 26 more days to do their fusion. As no one bellied up to the bar in all these years to even attempt either effort, I am confident I will retire before any significant, provable claim will be made.

I will make a formal announcement in late March or early April regarding my formally pulling out of the prize.

Richard Hull