A proposal..or a rant...probably both?

Administration forums. These are mostly old posts that are no longer relevant. It also contains numerous files that were not located in the proper forums by the original authors. As such, it is a smattering of just about everything. This is a Read Only section. No new posts or replies are permitted.
Adam Szendrey

A proposal..or a rant...probably both?

Post by Adam Szendrey » Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:25 pm

Greetings all!

There seems to be a steady inflow of new members to this site. That is good. But from what I see a lot of them are students at various stages of their education, looking to build something cool. Probably because it has the words "nuclear" and "fusion" in them. Of course some actually "want in", to do some science down the road, not just to have something that glows pretty. But that's beside the point...I'll just share my honest thoughts, and opinion here:

It's all too often that the same questions are asked. It's all too often that newcomers don't even adhere to the basic rules of posting, such as (this being the most common) not giving their actual real name as their username. Now I'm pretty sure those who tell these new members to "read the rules" or "read the FAQ" are starting (if not already) to get very tired of doing so....How about, and I ask this in the most humble way possible, we introduce some sort of "quiz", or "test" for each and every new member. To answer all the questions in it (most common questions asked by newbies) they HAVE to read the relevant FAQ sections. I'd also include questions relating to forum rules. If they can't answer a question they are given the correct answer. After completing the test they are granted the privilege of posting (they can ready everything without doing this). I'd imagine this as an automatic process, of course. If anyone, after passing this test, still asks about "basic" stuff, and/or still can't manage to give their real names, their right to post is revoked, and they have to do the test again. This would both be educational for them, and relieve us from answering the same stuff over and over and over....Or at least some of it. They might even learn a thing or to about doing actual research on their own to achieve a goal.... I might even include questions relating to basic electrical engineering knowledge, and probably even physics. I'm not trying to be an elitist, I just thing that this forum should be about more (and granted, thankfully, this is not the only thing going on here) than just tutoring people about stuff they can learn from a basic internet, or forum search.

Now, since I'm not the one who'd be doing the code for this (believe me if I'd be good ad web based stuff, I'd do it in a heartbeat, it's not a lack of "want"), it's easy to have such ideas, and be a loudmouth. I don't know if this would be difficult or hard to implement, I just thought I'd throw this idea in here. Now I'm sure some might say I'm too "strict" or that I'm not being a good teacher or whatever, so feel free to throw those thoughts at me. Again this is MY personal opinion.

Good day to all!
Last edited by Adam Szendrey on Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Andrew Robinson

Re: A proposal..or a rant...probably both?

Post by Andrew Robinson » Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:17 pm

Sounds like a great idea Adam. I would be willing to contribute code. This forum is based off PHP so the implementation would be a cake walk. I also know Frank is a strong believer in more content with substance so I'm willing to bet he would be on board with this idea too. Will have to get some feedback from other members first and see what Paul and Frank think as they will have to be part of the admin side integration, but I think this will be quite helpful. We should probably stick to the more generalized questions though. We can't abandon people due to lack of experience. Lets get some more feedback, and if everyone is on board we can start a discussion about what options are available to us through phpBB and if none, with can write some scratch code. We can also discuss the desired content, format, ultimate goals, etc.
Last edited by Andrew Robinson on Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I can wire anything directly into anything! I'm the professor!

Adam Szendrey

Post by Adam Szendrey » Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:40 pm

I would stick to "the basics" of course, stuff that can be answered by reading the FAQ or doing some simple searches on Wikipedia, or generally, on the internet. Doing some work and all the while gaining knowledge. I'd gladly suggest questions if this takes off. I have talked to Frank about this (not this specific idea) a bit, and we do agree on the situation. I'm looking forward to the input of other members on this topic.

Jeremy Sims

Post by Jeremy Sims » Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:54 pm

As a newbie, I agree. If I remember correctly my first couple of visits to the board, before I had even registered I kept seeing read the FAQ's. So I read the ones in General Construction but did not realize there was one for every general topic. Finally figured that out at some point still before registering. Think how many times you have scrolled super fast down a EULA agreement and then just clicked "I agree"..... I never set out thinking I was going to spend $1000. Figured I go the super cheap route but the more I read the more I realized everything I thought would be cheap and easy had already been tried and either the guy just stopped posting or it has been reported not to work. (Yeah I'll just use that large freon tank! At least the guy with the beer keg worked...lol)
I have also wondered why there is not some emblem or icon below a person's sig denoting that they have achieved fusion.

Richard Hull
Site Admin

Post by Richard Hull » Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:32 am

I think I might speak for the perfesser here....May be wrong about that....but we are not trying to test for entry that is not what open source is really all about. We have had all manner of dipsy-doodles land here and either they fall in line or they are ignored and drift off.

We don't need no stinkin' tests! Just ignore the idiots. There will be plenty more, as there always are.

The names of the fusioneers who have done fusion and those who put forth enough effort to make a plasma are forever found in the fusioneers list in the announcements forum.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
Retired now...Doing only what I want and not what I should...every day is a saturday.

Adam Szendrey

Post by Adam Szendrey » Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:31 am

Well, I don't personally think it would defeat the purpose of an open-source platform, as a matter of fact, it would add to it. As said above, it would require newbies to do some research, and use the actual information stored in these forums. Otherwise open source or not, this mass of information gathered by countless hours of a lot of people is wasted. Hence I feel it would be educational, thus not just for our own benefit. And as I said above, they could read any part of the forums without the test, they simply couldn't post, the information wouldn't be hidden behind a wall. Again this is my personal opinion.

Roberto Ferrari

Post by Roberto Ferrari » Sat Mar 14, 2015 1:08 pm

Hi
Probably there is a way to mix both points of view (Richard's and Adam's).

When registering a new person to offer him/her a "simplified" FAQ, orienting from the very beginning the newbie. New generations are used to "instant answers" and will not take the time needed to review all FAQ. I agree that it is very important to do that, in order not only to spare time and money but also for very serious health risks involved, mainly HV.

Even an ordered set of pictures, examples of succesful setups, may be useful before entering to printed info.

regards

Roberto

Frank Sanns
Site Admin

Post by Frank Sanns » Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:21 pm

In the New User Chat Area, I have changed the verbiage to say FAQs in each of the forums. There is no solution for stupidity or impulsive shallowness but we will do what we can to get people to use the process. Richard is right though in that we have see our fair share of them and there will be more. I must be getting old because it seems to more and more the norm than when we were in the fusion research stages here.

Adam Szendrey

Post by Adam Szendrey » Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:17 pm

I'm not really talking about idiots, or stupid people... I'd say most newbies are quite decent individuals. They are simply lazy. Made lazy by our society, by our current way of life.Heck, I myself am a rather lazy bloke. We can keep on writing it on every available surface of the forums "READ THE FAQ", but I bet, it won't change a thing. What I'm proposing is not a way to keep people out, it's a way to educate them, employing a bit of a "push" to do so, giving an incentive, instead of personally telling them to do so (just today there were instances of doing exactly that...again). I don't quite understand the reactions saying "oh well there are idiots, we can't do a thing about that". This is actually a solution to "impulsive shallowness" at least, because you can't really be impulsive if you can't post right away, and by the time you can, you'll probably know your answer. Is this really a pointless goal? Again, I don't believe we see too many "idiots" or "stupid people" here. Wouldn't this actually help wannabe fusioneers? It would kind of be a "package" of information for them, a middle road between searching all the FAQs, and them asking about everything.

Scott Moroch

Post by Scott Moroch » Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:43 pm

I can personally see both sides to this argument of whether or not to have a quiz. I feel as though whether or not there is a quiz, we will still see the same questions of "will this work..." Perhaps we can compile all of the FAQ's into a pdf or word format which would allow a newbie to have all of the information in one place. This will also allow them to use the control-F function which allows you to search the page for a keyword. Now of course if a newbie does not bother to read the information packet we end up where we started, however perhaps people do not realize that there is a seperate FAQ section at the top of every subforum. This is just an idea of course. I was once a newbie and I have come to truly appreciate the information in the FAQ's. Hopefully we can make people appreciate the information from day one.

Scott Moroch
"In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity"
-Albert Einstein