A proposal..or a rant...probably both?

Administration forums. These are mostly old posts that are no longer relevant. It also contains numerous files that were not located in the proper forums by the original authors. As such, it is a smattering of just about everything. This is a Read Only section. No new posts or replies are permitted.
Andrew Robinson

Re: A proposal..or a rant...probably both?

Post by Andrew Robinson » Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:17 am

I don't mean to steal your thunder Bob, but any chance we can bring this back closer to original topic? Have we made a decision on what to do? Admins, I need you to jump first as any work I do will be a waste of time if not approved ahead of time. Perhaps next step will be to spin up a dev environment. I have a few unused servers at two of my datacenters right now. How about I throw on a blank copy of phpBB and do some experimenting. We can all do some "create user" tests so you can each experience the what new users will see. Then we can modify if necessary.

How is fusor.net currently deployed? Cloud based system. Allow me to refine my question. Can you export an OVA for me? I can do an offline test if the OVA is not too large.
I can wire anything directly into anything! I'm the professor!

Andrew Robinson

Post by Andrew Robinson » Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:32 am

I went ahead and just spun up one of those servers and am in the process of deploying a temporary fusor development area. Once DNS fully propagates, you should be able to reach (Accessible over both IPv4 and IPv6 for you overseas guys) it at http://fusordev.atomiklan.com/

Once I get phpBB and mySQL configured (here in next few mins), we can take a look at what technical challenges there may be to getting this idea working. After that, if the admins are on board, I'll put in some real time and get an example tour configured and or programmed for everyone's approval.

Andrew Robinson

Post by Andrew Robinson » Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:38 am

Development site is up. phpBB is quite simple to setup. I will see what options are available currently using the built in settings. If there is not already a way to do what we discussed, I will look more into a custom programmed approach. Considering how easy phpBB and the MySQL database is to work with (not to mention their templating system) I think a custom job will be quite simple.

Andrew Robinson

Post by Andrew Robinson » Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:18 am

I went ahead and started some of the coding for a guided tour. I figure I'll just put in the personal effort so we can make some progress on this topic. It's actually not all that time consuming so if everybody hates it, it's not much time lost on my end.

Go ahead and visit the dev site I posted up above. You will have to register a test user in order to see the beginnings of the guided tour. Register like you normally would, then login with that new user and let the site automatically redirect you. I have not tied in with the database to check (for example) post count yet. I have not decided exactly how we should go about this. I think the easiest would be the following:

If post count = 0 then redirect to tour after each login. This way they are constantly reminded each time to take the tour, but not restricted from at least reading content (ie. they can navigate away from tour if they wish and can have read only access). Once they complete the tour (which has no substance as of yet. Just a starting page) either a new value in the database will be set to true (disabling the tour), or there post count will be incremented to 1 (disabling the tour). In either case, at that point they will be given the ability to write to the forum (aka create new posts).

Give me your feedback all. Should I keep going or am I just wasting time?

Thanks,
Andrew

Bob Reite

Post by Bob Reite » Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:55 pm

Actually there isn't even a start page yet, when I click the start button for the tour I get 404 file not found.
The more reactive the materials, the more spectacular the failures.
The testing isn't over until the prototype is destroyed.

Andrew Robinson

Post by Andrew Robinson » Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:16 pm

The page with the start button is the start page. When you click the start button it would begin the tour, but it doesn't do anything yet (the 404 is intentional). Everyone kinda fell off the earth with regards to this topic. I don't want to waste my time if this is just going to go down the tube. I will work a little more on it if interest picks up again.

Tom McCarthy

Post by Tom McCarthy » Sat Apr 11, 2015 2:24 pm

I've gathered the Construction/Operation FAQs into a single document and am in the process of formatting and bookmarking them to provide a coherent table of contents. When I have the Table of Contents prepared I'll send it to someone here so that it can be uploaded/shared around and see what the general consensus is - If it looks like it might go places, we can try the same for the Vacuum, HV and other FAQs (Should be relatively quick as the bulk of FAQs are in the Construction/Operation forum). In the spirit of "The Open Source" forum, I think it would be appropriate that once I get this rough version done, a few members be given permissions to organise it and make it nice and savvy - i.e Organising closely related FAQs so that they are in the same portion of the document etc.

The documents as such don't need to form some sort of quiz for newbs, as I don't think it would be in the spirit of the forum to make people slog through a 100 page document for membership - There's nobody that's been active here for more than 6 months who isn't driven and motivated by their own spirit to learn. I know when I started on the forum I spent a good time floating from FAQ to FAQ, but writing posts at the same time. I don't think it would have been nearly as enjoyable a start if I had to gruel through a set of Q and As - Much like the schoolwork I was trying to get an alternative to...I know the FAQs aren't very terse or anything, but it has to be said that the mindset created by making newbs go through them piece by piece learning the answers will make it seem like some sort of rote learning exam and this is not the case. Even after nearly 2 years here I still check back at the FAQs from time to time to reference something and this post (viewtopic.php?f=10&t=10050) makes it pretty clear that you can contribute and participate in the forum and still have learning to do at the same time.

Who should I send the document to when it's ready?

Tom

Andrew Robinson

Post by Andrew Robinson » Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:22 am

Thanks for the effort Tom, but as of a few weeks ago, this topic is pretty much dead. There wasn't much support for any of the ideas posted. Feel free to press on and maintain that document yourself, however I think the bulk of the community has given up on this effort. Good luck.

PS To all, I will be shutting down that server. It was a good try but obviously never gained any traction.

Due to lack of interest in all ideas above we should probably consider this topic now closed.

Frank Sanns
Site Admin

Post by Frank Sanns » Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:23 pm

The FAQs are already compiled at the beginning of each forum. They are stickies so they are always at the top and beginning of the appropriate forum. I am not sure what else is needed for quick access.

When we migrated the site it was the consensus that no big quiz would used for members of the site. The only reason there is even one question is to keep the spambots from posting. We also decided that the FAQs would not be circulated as a single document and that people come to this site and poke around and be an active part of the fusor community. That is still our desire.

Tom McCarthy

Post by Tom McCarthy » Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:25 pm

Andrew and Frank,

I'll leave the document be then - I wasn't aware of the original reasoning behind no document/collection of FAQs.

Cheers,
Tom