Uranium minerals in New Mexico or Arizona

Administration forums. These are mostly old posts that are no longer relevant. It also contains numerous files that were not located in the proper forums by the original authors. As such, it is a smattering of just about everything. This is a Read Only section. No new posts or replies are permitted.
John Taylor

Uranium minerals in New Mexico or Arizona

Post by John Taylor » Mon May 25, 2015 1:20 am

I will be in New Mexico and Arizona in early July and wonder if there are any decent collecting areas for uranium minerals left for collecting. I have collected rocks and minerals for years and especially like radioactive specimens. I have a small collection of thorium-containing items from the Magnet Cove area in my home state of Arkansas. I will be in New Mexico first and would especially be interested in collecting around Grants. I collect any kind of rock or mineral, but am especially adding some uranium minerals. Thanks in advance.

Andrew Robinson

Re: Uranium minerals in New Mexico or Arizona

Post by Andrew Robinson » Wed May 27, 2015 7:20 pm

Grants is a great place, just be sure to bring some water haha. I have been out that way far too many times ill prepared. Used to head out to the dunes to go 4x4 when I was in college. Thankfully never had car trouble. Since you will most likely pass through Albuquerque, stop at Mama's Minerals. Great little shop with quite a spread. Little pricey though. There are several other cheaper shops off central ave (eastern stretch of central). You might also look up Carl Willis. He still lives in Albuquerque. Give him a buzz while you're out there. He can show you all the best spots to rock hound.
I can wire anything directly into anything! I'm the professor!

Gleedaniel Martin

Re: Uranium minerals in New Mexico or Arizona

Post by Gleedaniel Martin » Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:42 am

Hi Andrew,

Does the water there is not potable? Or there is really a shortage of water?