(SIGFE) Agenda for most recent IEC meeting

Administration forums. These are mostly old posts that are no longer relevant. It also contains numerous files that were not located in the proper forums by the original authors. As such, it is a smattering of just about everything. This is a Read Only section. No new posts or replies are permitted.
Dustinit

Re: Agenda for most recent IEC meeting

Post by Dustinit » Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:31 am

Chris,
Sydney is doing something similar to you.
An overview of new initiatives in IEC at the University of Sydney [ ppt ]
(in case you missed it)
Dustin.

Chris Bradley

Post by Chris Bradley » Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:38 am

Thanks for pointing that out. I saw their ppt on their Polywell attempt and figured that was what they were up to. Didn't spot the cycltron attempt at the end of this ppt. It look like 'just a cyclotron' in this case, but looks like there is someone to whom I can address some specifics [as Carl indicated he thinks I should do!]. cheers...

Dustinit

Post by Dustinit » Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:07 am

I recall steven Sesselmann knows someone in the program? Perhaps he could introduce you?

Steven Sesselmann

Post by Steven Sesselmann » Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:18 am

Chris,

Talk to Joe Khachan, he is the head of plasma physics at USYD, he is a very approachable guy.

If you email me I will give you his email address. Joe's field of expertise is spectroscopy, and he is quite passionate about Fusors.

http://www.physics.usyd.edu.au/about/index.shtml

Steven
http://www.gammaspectacular.com - Gamma Spectrometry Systems
https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Steven_Sesselmann - Various papers and patents on RG

Andrew Seltzman

Post by Andrew Seltzman » Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:27 am

I actually attended this meeting and presented a poster there. There were some very interesting posters and presentations. In particular you should take a look at Matthew Michalak's / Brian Egle's poster and presentation. They are working on the SiGFE experiment, a gridless IEC system designed to directly replicate the Hirsch gunned fusor experiment. They have seen some very promising results so far (within a factor of 2 of Hirsch in n/s/kW).

http://fti.neep.wisc.edu/static/TALKS/1 ... ianegl.pdf
http://fti.neep.wisc.edu/static/POSTERS/51Michalak.ppt

Andrew Seltzman
Andrew Seltzman
www.rtftechnologies.org

Dan Tibbets

Post by Dan Tibbets » Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:03 pm

As CB indicated, fighting the scattering reactions - mostly between the ions and neutrals(?) is a major issue. That does not imply that other work not directly addressing this is useless. I'm too lazy to search for other examples, but it is somewhat amusing that it only took 35 years for someone to build a machine (that I know of) similar to Hirsch, etel's efforts. Speaking of which , any teasers from the several forum members working with ion guns?

Dan Tibbets

Quantum

Post by Quantum » Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:59 am

James Caska said:

"Now, as it happens I have some ideas.. but where to even begin to publically discuss those I don't even know where to begin. "

Do as I do, James, and just say it.

This site needs more people like you.

Paul_Schatzkin
Site Admin

Here's A Locally Stored Copy of "SIGFE"

Post by Paul_Schatzkin » Fri Dec 04, 2015 5:46 pm

I recently had an e-mail exchange with Andrew Seltzman. I was following up on something Richard had said about how much fusion in a fusor actually occurs outside of the poissor. I contacted Andrew after Richard said that was something that had come out of the U of W facility.

When I contacted Andrew, he referred me to the SIGFE paper from 2009 and sent me the link above, but also suggested that we stash a copy on our own servers, which is really all I'm doing with this post.

I was going to create a new thread but searching the site for "SIGFE" produced this existing thread, so I'll just put it here.

It really is a very interesting read, and as somebody above said, how interesting how long it was before somebody even tried to replicate Hirsch's work...

Anyway, the file on our servers should show up in this post.

--PS
Attachments
12Oct0430brianegl.pdf
(2.77 MiB) Downloaded 42 times
Paul Schatzkin, aka "The Perfesser" – Founder and Host of Fusor.net
Author of The Boy Who Invented Television - http://farnovision.com/book.html
"Fusion is not 20 years in the future; it is 50 years in the past and we missed it."

Richard Hull
Site Admin

Re: (SIGFE) Agenda for most recent IEC meeting

Post by Richard Hull » Sat Dec 05, 2015 6:00 am

The great thing seen in this report is that running at 40kv to 60kv the fancy ion gunned fusor did no better in D-D fusion numbers than an extremely well built and operated 6-8 inch cheapo, (relatively cheapo), amateur fusor!

All you folks who would use ion guns and bear the expense in money and time are likely to do little better than a common old fusor unless you step up your voltages over 60kv.

Another item is that in a common fusor, as seen on their graphs, does more fusion at higher and higer pressures up to the limit of their data. Still, the fusor's limit seems to fall just shy of 10e7 neutrons/sec even at 100kev.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
Retired now...Doing only what I want and not what I should...every day is a saturday.