Auto logout

Administration forums. These are mostly old posts that are no longer relevant. It also contains numerous files that were not located in the proper forums by the original authors. As such, it is a smattering of just about everything. This is a Read Only section. No new posts or replies are permitted.
Andrew Robinson

Auto logout

Post by Andrew Robinson » Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:12 pm

Anyone else experiencing automatic logouts when using the "return to ..." feature at the bottom of each post. Suddenly (today) when using the link (which helps to return and mark the post read), it sometimes randomly logs you out. It seems to do it about 80% of the time. Very annoying. It could just be temp issues on my end. Can others please try to reproduce this problem. Thanks.
I can wire anything directly into anything! I'm the professor!

Andrew Robinson

Re: Auto logout

Post by Andrew Robinson » Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:15 pm

Hmm did it again just now when trying to submit that last message (Pressing submit button auto logged me out too). Seems like maybe something weird is going on with maintaining sessions. Testing my browser now to see if its a local issue.

Richard Hull
Site Admin

Post by Richard Hull » Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:21 pm

I have had a problem with auto login! After about a week of being auto logged in, I am forced to re-login and even using the "log me in automatically everytime" tick mark only works for a week or so of auto logins. This just started about 3 weeks ago.

Strange goings on.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
Retired now...Doing only what I want and not what I should...every day is a saturday.

Frank Sanns
Site Admin

Post by Frank Sanns » Thu Aug 06, 2015 3:37 am

No changes have been made to the site to cause this. I am the only one making changes on the site and I reviewed the logs to confirm that and my own activity. Nada.

I have not made a change since making newcomers ID orange so we all know who the new people are.

My guess it has more to do with your browsers. Many will force a page update now when visiting a site. I have noticed this on both the Apple iOS and Google Android systems. You cannot even keep a page open for an extended period of time before it forces a refresh. For mobile devices it is like hours or minutes. I am not sure how long the standard browsers keep the page and cookies alive but I have made no changes.

Richard Hull
Site Admin

Post by Richard Hull » Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:55 pm

I am still using the ancient XP that I have used for the past 8 years. Zero point zero change or updates done here.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Retired now...Doing only what I want and not what I should...every day is a saturday.

Bob Reite

Post by Bob Reite » Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:46 pm

Ah, you may still be using XP, but did you update the web browser?

As far as my own personal experience, I've never had auto logout get in the way of posting messages or whatever I was doing, unless I walked away in the middle of composing something for more than 10 minutes or so.
The more reactive the materials, the more spectacular the failures.
The testing isn't over until the prototype is destroyed.

JoeBallantyne

Post by JoeBallantyne » Fri Aug 07, 2015 5:01 am

Richard, I hope you are not using that XP machine to do any kind of online banking.

XP is no longer getting security updates, so if you are using that machine online, you should treat it like it has been completely owned by malware. As it likely is.

If you use it for forums/mail/web browsing, it likely doesn't matter much - other than possibly running slowly, but make sure there is no data on that machine you don't want potentially nefarious folk to know about.

Joe.

Richard Hull
Site Admin

Post by Richard Hull » Sat Aug 08, 2015 6:33 am

All banking done by paper, mail and across the counter. No debit card. No pin number. no ability to use an automatic teller, ever. Nothing electronic in our money. We use tellers only, inside the bank.

I am constantly hit with malware, but between malware bytes and Hit man Pro. they pop up malware attack has been blocked about 5 time over a 1 hours session. I run the 35 minute full blast of malware Bytes software about 4 times weekly and due to the constant trapping of malware it reports no virus found. The machine remains very fast.

Richard Hull

Andrew Robinson

Post by Andrew Robinson » Sat Aug 08, 2015 3:17 pm

I'm sure Richard is quite familiar with the risks associated with running older tech.

Back to the original post though, I have been out for the past few days so have not had a chance to see if the issue has resolved itself. I am at the office today on a different system. I'll let you guys know if the behavior repeats.

PS. Frank, if this is indeed still an issue, its not a simple session timeout. This is an instantaneous (on occasion), ie login back in, try to do something, and get auto logged back out. It may have just been a hiccup the other day. I wanted to get a discussion going only to make admins aware as soon as possible in case a bigger issue was present. I'm all about early detection and reporting.

Andrew Robinson

Post by Andrew Robinson » Sat Aug 08, 2015 3:24 pm

Yup, it's still happening on a different computer, different browser, different network. All of these variables I have no control over either so that eliminates customization related issues. I guess we're still waiting for someone else to confirm this behavior first.

I has just reading the new "new users" posts when suddenly was auto logged out when using the back to link. Somehow my session is expiring which causes the forum to drop me each time I reload or visit a new page. Even now (currently logged in), I am copying the text in this post because I will probably be logged out when I try to hit the submit button.