Activation of Uranium by using a Fusor?

Administration forums. These are mostly old posts that are no longer relevant. It also contains numerous files that were not located in the proper forums by the original authors. As such, it is a smattering of just about everything. This is a Read Only section. No new posts or replies are permitted.
Brian Daker

Activation of Uranium by using a Fusor?

Post by Brian Daker » Sun Sep 13, 2015 9:24 pm

I dont know where to post that.. so i will post it here
i thought i have posted that already anywhere but i cant find it so thats my new topic

Unfortunately my english skills are not that good.. so forgive me if i do any mistakes

Currently i am planning to build up a fusor because i want to try out several things with it.
At the moment i got a x-ray transformer for 60kV but i dont know if its enough.

So now to my question..

i have extracted some Yellowcake from Uranium Ore (around 5grams) and i want to put it into the fusor chamber

if everything works well.. and i get neutron emissions.. would it be possible to activate the Uranium 238 isotopes and get Plutonium 239? or will there be a fission again of the Plutonium 239?
i thought it might work in this 2 ways

Please help me about my theory

thanks

Richard Hull
Site Admin

Re: Activation of Uranium by using a Fusor?

Post by Richard Hull » Mon Sep 14, 2015 5:25 am

The deuterons do not have the energy in the fusor in the first line formula.
The neutrons are far too few in a fusor and the cross section for U at their energy is too low. What fast neutrons interact with the U will cause it to fission. No one has detected this yet.

The fusor is just not capable of any of these reactions that would be possible or even detectable at the amateur level. Your can give this idea up as it will go no place.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
Retired now...Doing only what I want and not what I should...every day is a saturday.

Andrew Robinson

Re: Activation of Uranium by using a Fusor?

Post by Andrew Robinson » Mon Sep 14, 2015 6:13 am

Not to mention the negative attention of these types of topics in this forum.
I can wire anything directly into anything! I'm the professor!