Fusion Achieved!

Administration forums. These are mostly old posts that are no longer relevant. It also contains numerous files that were not located in the proper forums by the original authors. As such, it is a smattering of just about everything. This is a Read Only section. No new posts or replies are permitted.
Steven Sesselmann

Re: Fusion Achieved!

Post by Steven Sesselmann » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:45 am

Will,

Well done, not many kids your age can claim to have done fusion, you can hold your head high. You have discovered that learning is rewarding.

I warn you, it is also a little addictive, and you will most likely never be able to become a couch potato

Look forward to seeing more of your work.

Steven
http://www.gammaspectacular.com - Gamma Spectrometry Systems
https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Steven_Sesselmann - Various papers and patents on RG

Dan Tibbets

Post by Dan Tibbets » Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:23 pm

This is perhaps a very simplified approach to statistical significance. There are all sorts of statistical tests, that determine if there is an ACTUAL difference in results. There are many different tests for different types of data, outlier rejection, etc.
But, concentrate on Standard Deviation. Without going into the formulas. One standard deviation is approximately a likelihood of 2/3 or ~ 66%. Two Standard Deviations is ~ 95% likelihood of significant difference. If I'm not confusing myself, with only two tests- one control and one experiment, then if the control is 10, the experimental result would be significant to one standard deviation different if it is more than 16, or less than 4 . For Two standard deviations- which is generally the limit used for most research, the experimental result would need to be greater than 19 or less than 1.

Another way to look at it is if you have a control result of 10, and an experimental result of 20, then you can say with 95% confidence that the results are significantly different. This is a simplification, and does not really reveal the actual standard deviation. For that you need multiple samples so that an average and likely +/- confidence interval can be calculated for that test or control. You need the average of multiple tests before this statistical test has any validity.
A more accurate assessment is if you have 10 control tests. Say the average is 10, and the two standard deviation variation in the control data is +/- 2. If your experimental data is 15 with a two standard deviation variation of +/- 2 You can say with 95% confidence that the results are significantly different. Generally, the more tests, the tighter the standard deviation.
Look up standard deviation and stay with the simplest formulas you can find. The more you try to understand the details and intricacies of statistics, the more confusing and prone to misleading errors it becomes.

Dan Tibbets

Richard Hull
Site Admin

Post by Richard Hull » Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:49 pm

Nice work! The data looks good for the lower voltage you are using. The later statement on pressure also is in line. I am adding your name to the Fusioneers list. Glad to have you on board in this special group of amateur scientists.

We are looking forward to seeing your planned future work reports.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
Retired now...Doing only what I want and not what I should...every day is a saturday.

Rich Feldman

Post by Rich Feldman » Thu May 14, 2015 10:27 pm

Anybody know how to reach Will Jack in 2015? His last fusor.net post was almost 2 1/2 years ago (as Tidbit77).
Just in case he didn't intend to abandon his wjscience domain name, which recently expired.
http://wjscience.com/about-me/
Richard Feldman

JakeJHecla

Post by JakeJHecla » Thu May 14, 2015 10:37 pm

Yep, I talk to Will frequently. PM me for his contact info.