Retirement just days away!

Administration forums. These are mostly old posts that are no longer relevant. It also contains numerous files that were not located in the proper forums by the original authors. As such, it is a smattering of just about everything. This is a Read Only section. No new posts or replies are permitted.
Richard Hull
Site Admin

Retirement just days away!

Post by Richard Hull » Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:56 pm

8 more working days and it's the rest of my life off! It's going to be like being a kid again only as a nearly fossilized organism. Cool beans, huh?

I have gone through the forums and changed my e-mail from my work address to my home e-mail. (Trading post) I have also changed the personal message (PM) delivery address to my home e-mail address.

I don't know whether I will be posting more or less. Time will tell.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
Retired now...Doing only what I want and not what I should...every day is a saturday.

Chris Bradley

Re: Retirement just days away!

Post by Chris Bradley » Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:22 am

Youth is wasted on the young!

richnormand

Post by richnormand » Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:16 am

Congrats!
Don't fret it Richard.
I retired two years ago and I swear I have been just as busy!
Just felt a bit guilty to attend technical talks for interest at the beginning instead of management paper pushing and politics....Difference is I can choose what I want to do now.
Not a single day where I asked myself what will I do today.
So, I assume you will keep posting as usual ;-)
Enjoy!!!

Mike Beauford

Post by Mike Beauford » Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:12 am

Way to go Richard! Enjoy every second of it!
Mike Beauford

Richard Hull
Site Admin

Post by Richard Hull » Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:02 pm

I do have a lot planned that would have been too big a project while working. The best deal is I wake up when I wish and 100% of my time can be directed by me! I find that I generally never check my home e-mail or my computers when on vacation. I am too busy doing other things. Maybe I will still find time each day to look at fusor.net. At work, I am at a computer with access the entire 8 hours. As I noted, time will tell. Thanks for all the good wishes and advice.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Retired now...Doing only what I want and not what I should...every day is a saturday.

Doug Coulter

Post by Doug Coulter » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:10 pm

With some experience about being retired, you still don't get all your time to yourself. Maintenance on your house and grounds, you name it - seem to take more time.
Everyday is Saturday - but every day is also Monday!
I'm guessing you'll adapt fine, but it is never just like you think it will be. Now that all your friends assume you have all this spare time....well, you can guess what happens.
But maybe you can spend more time experimenting and moving forward - that'd be nice, and for me, I couldn't even get started on fusion till after I retired.
Hoping for the best - keep busy and healthy!
Why guess when you can know? Measure!

David Rosignoli

Post by David Rosignoli » Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:34 am

Congratulations, Richard! I am sure you will be "working" each day with a smile - doing what you want to do even amid the daily chores that life always has in store.
Dave

Richard Hull
Site Admin

Post by Richard Hull » Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:59 pm

I tend to do what I wish and avoid doing what I should when seen by an outside observer. ( I am chidlike without being overly childish) I am extremely jealous of my time and plan accordingly. It is why I chose and demanded that my wife and I have no children. I would have had little time for them and thus would have not been a good father. (too many couples have kids before thinking that point through.)

I have always enjoyed my work and never regretted my job at any time. Having said this, I have always viewed work much as a sex starved, happy whore. I prostituted myself to make money doing something I really liked doing....... And, like most prostitutes, once off the job, got on with my real life doing whatever I wished with my gains. My many hobbies and interests far outside work became my real life and never the job. I never defined myself by my job as so many others seem to do. It was a pleasurable 8 hours with a cash reward, but not my life.......Life, for me, always began at 5 o'clock.

I have a great sense of honor and duty and realizing that has made me enter into few tontines, arrangements and specific promises to others or institutions. So my time in retirement will be my own.... I will warrant that and you can go to the bank with that one.

I just hope the world that I have known holds together long enough for me to pass away after a fulfilling and happy retirement.

I dispise travel, but my wife loves it and plans trips with her friends as is her want. She'll have more fun without me on such ventures, to be sure.

I am short with the triffles of others and, therefore, have very few general friends and desire no others than the very few truly kindred spirits that I hold dear.

In short, I am a hard man and brook no deviation from certain standards I hold dear and do not see in others. Thus, I tend to let them spiral out of control into their own abyss and expect them to let me do the same. I will not support or attempt to aright my fellow man, lest they seek my council. This makes me a somewhat happy misanthrope.

No!... What time I have left will be like that of a kid with ever limited faculties and facilities. An old curmudgeon whooping it up 'til the end.

Again thanks for all the best wishes. I probably need them.

A few quotes I hold dear........

“I hate mankind, for I think myself one of the best of them, and I know how bad I am.”
― Samuel Johnson

"By four o'clock, I've discounted suicide in favor of killing everyone else in the entire world instead.”
― Warren Ellis, Transmetropolitan, Vol. 3: Year of the Bastard

“The multiplication of our kind borders on the obscene; the duty to love them, on the preposterous.”
― Emil Cioran

Richard Hull

Chris Bradley

Post by Chris Bradley » Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:36 pm

I guess retirement clocks are passe these days. Do we email you a 'clock-app' instead?!

Work hard tomorrow! ;)

Richard Hull
Site Admin

Post by Richard Hull » Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:48 pm

As I type this missive, I am at home and fully retired. My company was so eager for me to go, they are paying me the full amount of my salary through the end of the month to just walk away. (just kidding) They are paying me as if on vacation for the remainder of the month. A nice gesture for 45 years of service.

Richard Hull