Steve Blaising has a computer!

Administration forums. These are mostly old posts that are no longer relevant. It also contains numerous files that were not located in the proper forums by the original authors. As such, it is a smattering of just about everything. This is a Read Only section. No new posts or replies are permitted.
Richard Hull

Steve Blaising has a computer!

Post by Richard Hull » Wed May 19, 2004 6:29 pm

Steve Blaising is one of the Farnsowrth team members and has just got a computer for the first time and will attempt some interneting soon (has to have a phone jack put in his room.)

He has never worked a computer, been on line or anything like that. He has trepidations, but is sharp and has already played with MS Word and cranked out a few documents. As his confidence grows, he will come on to the internet and is eager to view our work. He is still a real sharp cookie with lots of valuable insights and memories.

I talk to him regularly, still, and have interviewed him in person a couple of years back with the Perfesser when we were in Fort Wayne together.

He may lurk for a while as he gets his sea legs on the internet. Just wanted to give you guys a heads up should he sign on. No other older member of the Farnsworth team has a computer.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
Retired now...Doing only what I want and not what I should...every day is a saturday.

Starfire

Re: Steve Blaising has a computer!

Post by Starfire » Wed May 19, 2004 10:02 pm

Best regards to Steve, Richard. Tell him we look forward to him joining the group. He should not worry about the computer or making mistakes - we are all in the same boat :) - The worst he has to worry about is Richard Hull :))

Paul_Schatzkin
Site Admin

Post by Paul_Schatzkin » Thu May 20, 2004 2:04 pm

Who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks. Now all we have to do is get Gene Meeks hooked up. Yeah, that'll happen. Give my regards to Steve, let me know if there's anything I can do to help.

--PS
Paul Schatzkin, aka "The Perfesser" – Founder and Host of Fusor.net
Author of The Boy Who Invented Television - http://farnovision.com/book.html
"Fusion is not 20 years in the future; it is 50 years in the past and we missed it."

Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull » Thu May 20, 2004 3:23 pm

Steve has a lot of stuff on his plate around his home to do and the phone tap might be a month from now, but in the mean time, he is tapping away on his computer learning the internal ropes. I'll give Steve a bit more latitude than you guys. At 81 he's earned it.

A bit of background............

Steve was a technician much like Gene Meeks. Unlike Gene he never rose to have his own fusor station, but maintained both the Farnsworth and Hirsch systems and did a lot of the day to day fixes and installs. Therefore, he has a broad knowledge of what was done overall.

Gene knows a lot about his fusor and Bob Hirsch's Cave fusor, but few details about the Farnsworth clique's fusors, especially in the later years when the group got far more polarized.

Ultimately, even Steve was permenantly assigned to Bob Hirsch as Gene got deeper involved in his own work and making the groups ion guns and had a bit less time to nurse Bob's system in the day to day minutia. By this time (65-66) Farnsworth was virtually out of the picture tdue to health issues.

There was a third technician in the 62-64 time frame named John Fisher, (dead now), who was one of the best techs in the pontiac plant, but was a real pistol and cantankerous. Such people were not tolerated well in the 60 employment arena. He was valuable to the team but was more of a obtuse horse than Gene. Even Gene felt he was weird. John often butted heads with the project engineering head George Bain. John was not fired, but left to go to another job in the 63-64 time frame.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Retired now...Doing only what I want and not what I should...every day is a saturday.

3l

Post by 3l » Thu May 20, 2004 3:37 pm

Hi Folks:

It amazes me that we can even get an elder statesman of the fusor here. I will read everything that Mr Blaising puts on the net!
It is nice to have a connection to the past effort.
I think we should pace our millions of questions until Mr Blaising
posts a few times and gets used to a crowd scene. Fusors in the past were not a crowded field when Mr Blaising worked for Dr Meeks.

Give a hearty welcome to an original Team member...Steve Blaising!
Salute!

Happy Fusoring!
Larry Leins
Fusor Tech

Jon Rosenstiel

Post by Jon Rosenstiel » Thu May 20, 2004 8:25 pm

I'm sure Steve will get the hang of the internet quickly. Before long he'll tire of dial-up and want DSL or cable.

When my Mom was 84 I got her a computer so she could use the internet. She's approaching 91 now, has a cable connection and uses the internet daily to keep in touch with the outside world. My only regret is that my Dad passed away before the internet became popular... I know he would have loved it!

Welcome, Steve.

Jon Rosenstiel

Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull » Thu May 20, 2004 9:19 pm

I have a T1 line here a work and am still on dial up at home. That is why I rarely look at the fusor list at night and on weekends. I won't go cable at home and give th' bastards one dime of my money as long as I have access to a T1 line here at work.

By the way there were three technicians (non-degree) Gene Meeks tech # 1 59-68 made "researcher" in 1965 but still did tech work too, Steven Blaising #2 61-68, John Fisher #3 ~62-64.

The degreed people: Fred Haak, BS - chemistry 61-68,(research engineer)..... George Bain - MS electrical Engineering (59-68) Director of project engineering....... Robert Hirsch - Phd (64-68) Chief project scientist and after 65, Director of the entire fusion project.

Phil Farnsworth - no degree whatsoever, but awarded an honrary doctorate late in life.

The above numbers are correct to the best of my knowledge as there are minor conflicting stories among the fading memories of the remaining researchers. Certainly no dates are off more than a year +/-. I felt that is amazing that people who worked there can't remember to the level of one particular specific year!

Meeks was a lowly technician with multiple talents who Phil raised to the status of researcher in 1965 with the Admiral's approval. Meeks was the longest serving team member (May 59 to July 68). First in and nearly last out. Meeks would leave ITT and go on to U of Utah and under Andrw Gardner, Phd, operate the last working fusor there in a graduate program until 1972!

Steve Blaising was the last man standing in the empty lab. He actually hung around in the abandoned lab area for a week or two tidying things up until someone realized he was un-attached and reassigned him within the Pontiac St. plant.

Richard Hull

Starfire

Post by Starfire » Wed Jun 30, 2004 4:17 pm

How is Steve getting on with the computer?

Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull » Wed Jun 30, 2004 5:36 pm

I haven't heard from him recently and don't know. I'll try and check.

Richard Hull

Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull » Wed Jul 07, 2004 8:15 pm

I just talked with Steve! Lotsa' stuff attacking him just now regarding his home and household chores. He estimates that Fall will be the earliest for his internet debut.

It must be great to be 70 sumpthin' when time is just a smooth river flowing around you. The young are swept up in it and carried far and wide as part of the great adventure of life. As one gets older and wiser, one learns to nagivate in it to advantage. The really olders folks seem to be just slowly drifting islands as the waters of time rush around them.

Richard Hull