MAKE Magazine fusor project

Reflections on fusion history, current events, and predictions for the 'fusion powered future.
Isaac Boehm

MAKE Magazine fusor project

Post by Isaac Boehm » Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:03 pm

Hi just noticed this MAKE magazine published a fusor project in their latest issue. Maybe more people will make them now. :)

Project
http://makezine.com/projects/make-36-bo ... ear-fusor/

Video
http://youtu.be/9vERIyKwWvo
I can't think that it would be terrible of me to say — and it is occasionally true — that I need physics more than friends. -Robert J Oppenheimer

Richard Hull

Re: MAKE Magazine fusor project

Post by Richard Hull » Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:02 pm

I couldn't resist. I posted a comment that the intro stating limited fusion in the device was wrong and let folks know about fusor.net.

Lotsa' DIY's there have a lot of wrong ideas about the device and the usual questions about break even and wondering if they could extract power from the device. Wow!

Ricahrd Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
Retired now...Doing only what I want and not what I should...every day is a saturday.

Ross Moffett

Post by Ross Moffett » Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:20 pm

Did you type that with a Virginia twang, Maker of the day, Richard Hull?

Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull » Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:04 pm

That article was almost 6 years ago when Make was a relatively new mag! Frank Sanns got really upset that they used his image of his glowing fusor without attribution. That was not a how-to article back then. The usual hype was included, of course. Gotta' pump th' readers, ya' know.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Retired now...Doing only what I want and not what I should...every day is a saturday.

Rich Feldman

Post by Rich Feldman » Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:05 am

Looks like Maker Faire is history, and MAKE Magazine is circling the drain.
https://techcrunch.com/2019/06/07/make- ... a-layoffs/
3Fsm6A2O.png
Other sad news, depending on one's perspective, that has come my way recently:
* the end of MAD magazine
* the end of Barron Park Supply

"Barron Park Supply was founded in 1963 by William Gabbard in the Barron Park section of Palo Alto on El Camino Real. Originally, Barron Park only designed sprinkler systems and supplied parts for them to homeowners. In 1968, the business moved to 377 San Antonio Road in Mountain View where it would remain for 44 years."
Then about 7 years on El Camino near Calderon, while San Antonio site turned into six story office and apartment buildings. How can anyone expect to find an odd old plumbing part at HD, or Lowes (curse them for closing down OSH), or mom and pop Ace and True Value stores?
Mike echo oscar whisky! I repeat! Mike echo oscar whisky, how do you copy? Over.

Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull » Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:51 am

While I have never subscribed to Make magazine, my barber shop seems to always have a copy about to thumb through. A friend I have will sometimes bring his discarded back issues for me to read and then toss out.

I can understand it circling the drain. I found it rather effete and aimed at the green edged millennials. Camp projects for camp people. I will note that they make a great effort, but often fall short of the mark. The projects are often simple and in the fusor case, down right misleading in the title and absolutely false when, early on, they note that the device will not produce significant fusion products! Actuality, we all know it will produce 0.0000000 fusion products! The project presented what is not even a really nice pass at being a good, usable, learning, demo fusor.

I retain but one issue given to me from 2016 where they do a bang-up good job on the current spate of micro-controllers. This is the best of all efforts I have found in any publication on the subject.

Richard Hull