IEC2015 Presentations

Reflections on fusion history, current events, and predictions for the 'fusion powered future.
Dan Knapp

IEC2015 Presentations

Post by Dan Knapp »

The presentations from the 2015 US-Japan Workshop are now online at:
http://iec2015.es.titech.ac.jp/presentation/index.html
Frank Sanns
Site Admin

Re: IEC2015 Presentations

Post by Frank Sanns »

Thanks Dan,

These sessions always interest me. Wish I could participate. There are many good things and many missed things. One has to wonder where it is all going.

Many years back I tried to work directly with the University of Wisconsin on some things that I saw in their data. Also wanted to share some specifics of my research and some unpublished results with my patented plasma electrodes (no inner grid to melt) but they were adamant that they did not want information sharing. The word from Kulcinski was that they had it covered. I went on to get the patent 7550741 and continue my own research. A few more things are in the works but the point is that some of these people are too territorial and really think nobody else can contribute. A shame as fusion needs all of the help it can get.

Thanks for the link.
Achiever's madness; when enough is still not enough. ---FS
We have to stop looking at the world through our physical eyes. The universe is NOT what we see. It is the quantum world that is real. The rest is just an electron illusion. ---FS
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

I viewed a couple of presentations and found them interesting. I find that for their size, our 6-8 inch fusors do a fabulous job at higher D2 pressures up to 50kv applied. The simple amateur fusor is still a fun and rather productive unit for so very simple a device.

All electrostatic fusion machines are relatively simple devices with complex operational regimes that can't be codified well, but only studied piecemeal, process by process. This complexity, while making them unsuitable for useful fusion energy production, actually allows fusion to be done very inexpensively compared to machines struggling to produce power.

The fusor, as we build it, is a nearly perfect device for the amateur scientist seeking to do fusion.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Adrian Hindes

Post by Adrian Hindes »

It seems like a lot of these research groups' interest in IEC devices is more as a neutron source to do irradiation material studies with rather than power generation.
Bob Reite

Post by Bob Reite »

The experts feel that the only practical use for IEC is a neutron source that can be switched on and off at will. They are pessimistic about generation of net power from an IEC device.
The more reactive the materials, the more spectacular the failures.
The testing isn't over until the prototype is destroyed.
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Their pessimism is well placed about IEC doing power fusion, just like mine is about just doing power fusion with any process on the immediate horizon.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment

Return to “Fusion --- Past, Present, and Future”