Infrastructure - the joy and end of us all.

Reflections on fusion history, current events, and predictions for the 'fusion powered future.
3l

Re: Infrastructure - the joy and end of us all.

Post by 3l » Mon Mar 21, 2005 6:05 pm

Hi Mike:

All the choice east coast real estate is being bought up with depreciated dollars.by foreiners...west coast too. That drives
American folks into the hinterlands. In turn that drives up the cost of marginal land.

Hi Richard:

Your last post pretty sums up why I've been absent lately from the fusornet. I am restructuring my liife to deal with the coming freight train. I now possess enough solar panels and wind mills
to support my new life style. For sale is my energy eating house
with it's ton of taxes. I will draw No city services...at all. My new house is all metal with 4 feet of blown insulation on ten acres.
I want to live my dream of the prosumer in real time. I had to really shift my thinking to make the leap.

Happy Fusoring!
Larry Leins
Fusor Tech

ebeuerle

Post by ebeuerle » Tue Mar 22, 2005 8:13 pm

Larry,
I am trying to pursue this route with a move down to North Carolina. If possible I would love to know your plans/results in detail as I am not exactly sure where to start-but I do know I want off the grid in the near term along with producing as much food on my own as I can.
-Eddie B.

ps
You can send private email to ebeuerle@excite.com if you dont want to post here:)

3l

Post by 3l » Tue Mar 22, 2005 9:01 pm

Hi Edward:

I don't mind posting here one bit.
The question to ask yourself is what cost is escallating fastest.
It is energy obviously.
I have taken two approaches to this problem.
One gather wind and solar panels to generate electricity.
But the really tricky part is how much to buy?
When I first started 6 kw was the first figure ,I computed back 5 years ago.
Back then I was tying to make my 1965 style house work.
It turned out I would need around $20k+ worth of gear to support it.
It was impractical...no matter how hard you crunched the numbers the wooden stich house of the late 19th and early twentieth century was never gonna work.
So I abandoned this approach and started with a fresh sheet of paper.
The main 110v powerhog was heating food,heating and cooling the house and illumination. Looking at my 20K+ budget...if I didn't use 110 volt stuff everywhere I could get by with less that $2k of inverters. 12 volt is much safer to use and won't burn your house down . An added plus is that a very expensive electrician fee is eliminated. Heating and cooling can be eliminated entirely by proper design. A wall with four feet of blown insulation would approximate the insulative quallities of an underground house without all the expense and headache of dirt structures. A proper selection of the blown insulation will make it a much safer house by far than even the best wooden house.
Borated cellulose would repell bugs and vermin. Rats plus wooden houses with 110volt wiring equals burned down house.
Seperated runs of 12v reduce the hazard by a factor of ten easily.
Using this hyper insulated design reduces the average energy usage down below a kilowatt per day per person.
So in my area 20K+ al little more will site my house ,buy the land,pour the concrete slab, Erect the structure, and sheave it in metal siding.

Happy Fusoring!
Larry Leins
Fusor Tech

Adam Szendrey

Post by Adam Szendrey » Wed Mar 23, 2005 12:24 am

Hi Larry,

The idea of having my own little land with my own little house, along with my own little powerplant(s), is rather tempting, even if there would be no power shortage or high energy prices on the horizon. Being independent is always great. There are some beautiful pieces for land for sale here, which are realtively cheap, as they don't have any utilities. Though even that "relatively cheap" ($ 5-10k) is a LOT or me at the moment. But i will eventually get the required amount of cash together. Right now i cannot truly decide if i should hurry up or not.

Adam

ebeuerle

Post by ebeuerle » Thu Mar 24, 2005 8:45 pm

Excellent info Larry. If you start construction-it would be great if you would post pictures as you slowly build it:) I am close to moving down to NC from Northern VA(too crazy around here to buy anything of value). I hope to buy some isolated land that is cheap and do close to what you are planning on doing. Would be nice to follow you along:)
-Eddie B.

Q

Post by Q » Thu Mar 24, 2005 9:35 pm

edward,
what part of nc are you moving to? i am in the western end (mountains) and i think brian williard is almost at the opposite end of the state.

i am working towards my energy independance as well. currently i am about to put up a few small wind generators and start construction on some fusion (solar) collectors. in the near future i hope to have the house disconnected and only have the electric utility connected to the lab.

hope the move goes well,
Q

ebeuerle

Post by ebeuerle » Fri Mar 25, 2005 4:17 pm

Q,
My job would be in Charlotte, NC so somewhere near there I suspect. I have heard that living in SC I might be able to afford some decent amount of land. I am probably going to be flying down there in a couple of weeks to do some land/house shopping.
Thanks for the kind words!
-Eddie B.

Q

Post by Q » Fri Mar 25, 2005 4:30 pm

ok, so that'll put you close to the middle of the state. charlotte is a good area to be around, there is much going on there. though, it is the largest city in the state. but yeah, just across the state line in sc, you should be able to find a good bit of land at a decent price. if i remember correctly, it's mostly farmland.

Q

3l

Post by 3l » Fri Mar 25, 2005 5:37 pm

Hi Guys:

I recently dusted off my 10 kv pulse rig.
Replaced the bell jar with a conflat ss tube in the z pinch mode.
Pulled a 1 torr vacuum
Backfilled the tube with deuterium gas to 100 torr.
I can get 10^5 neutrons fairly easily with a tiny cap.
500 shots on a single fill.
The rig ps is a 10 kv @ 1ma transformer and rectifier set by Plastic Capacitors company.
A small thyratron does the switching work instead of a spark gap.
The Kemmore 1 still makes a dandy mounting enclosure.
The storage cap has a capacity of 100J (2 uf @ 10kv)
The ps draws 10 Watts of ac...so I put a cheap 19 buck inverter on it. Since the supply puts out only 10 watts ...you can charge the cap in 10 seconds. Or 6 times a minute. So the next step was to put a solar panel on the inverter. I ran the rig all day on just sunlight. For night runs you need a storage battery. A cheepo 20-30 watt panel would be all you would need to crank out neuts in Bora Bora.
Do I need power in my shop?
I don't think so..
It is not perfected by any means BUT this is as close to portabilty as I had imagined it years ago.

Happy Fusoring!
Larry Leins
Fusor Tech

ebeuerle

Post by ebeuerle » Fri Mar 25, 2005 6:26 pm

Very nicely done!!! See you can do high voltage work using "free" power:) Woohoo and stuff!
Congrats Larry!
-Eddie B.