Fort Wayne Visit

Reflections on fusion history, current events, and predictions for the 'fusion powered future.
Richard Hull

Fort Wayne Visit

Post by Richard Hull »

The perfesser and I visited Fort Wayne this weekend and spent a full day interviewing Gene Meeks and Steve Blaising.

This was my second sit down interview with meeks, but the discovery of Steve Blaising was new and was the primary reason for the visit.

The Perfesser and I picked up on a lot of new and interesting information, not to mention a lot of images of the work of the team in the 60's. Steve had taken a number of extra polaroids using the 4X5 back on the speed graphic while there in the time period of 1960-68.

I have posted a temporary image in Images du jour for your enjoyment.

We learned that the fusion effort was mostly hurry up and wait due to a number of stoppages for rather constant modifications and repairs on fusors.

We also learned that they appeared to be afraid of success! Yes, they seemed to be damned if they did or damned if they didn't.

They could only run the fusor at night after all the employee of the Pontiac Street plant had gone home. The management feared that if the reaction went as Philo said it should, they would have numerous deaths and radiation injuries to surrounding workers in offices and shops.

All of the team members had to undergo thorough medical exams and have their urine checked regularly for tritium contamination. Each Team member was separately insured by the company for $150,000 (a huge sum in the 60s).

I'll let th' perfesser post more if he wishes regarding his spin on things.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment

Return to “Fusion --- Past, Present, and Future”