LENR news ACS conference

Reflections on fusion history, current events, and predictions for the 'fusion powered future.
Steven Sesselmann

Re: LENR news ACS conference

Post by Steven Sesselmann »

I am with Chris on this one...

Just for fun I used my fusion calculator to work out the bubble count in a standard BTI bubble detector, of the 20 year old claim that Ponz and Fleichmann measured 1.75 watt of excess heat.

Enough bubbles to satisfy the most sceptical science journal editor...

In fact at 1 meter radius you would get 13,000 bubbles in 1 second!

As Richard has suiggested before, do three counts and take the average

Steven
http://www.gammaspectacular.com - Gamma Spectrometry Systems
https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Steven_Sesselmann - Various papers and patents on RG
Chris Seyfert

Post by Chris Seyfert »

Hello,

I have not been able to track down any info on the recent ACS presentation, but I did find the following short paper on the subject by at least the same principal investigator:

"Triple tracks in CR-39 as the result of Pd-D Co-deposition: evidence of energetic neutrons"
http://www.newenergytimes.com/Library2/ ... Tracks.pdf
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

This paper is recent enough to be if not, the paper, a precursor to it. Thanks for the heads up on this. I will read it as I eat lunch today.

Later....

I have read the paper and two things came out of it.
1. These folks aren't claiming any heat whatsoever.
2. The length of the experiment and, thus, exposure of 2-3 weeks is not very satisfying. A lot of stuff can happen with cosmics/solar in two or three weeks.

I am stunned they didn't offer up a 2-3 week exposure image of CR-39 placed in another location from their experiment. I sure would as a simple control measure.

I liked the 200X image more. Show me an isolated exposed piece placed in the same relative plane and attitude located elsewhere at 200X. If it is as crowded as their run piece, I would be very suspect.

They spent a lot of time convincing themselves and us of the value of the triple hits theory.

I just want to see two pieces of CR-39 at 200X one from the experiment in the cell and one done for the same time period and in similar relative orientation placed on aunt jane's night table two blocks away.

Until then, I am most skeptical. Am I the only guy seeing this missing from this process. We are treated to a lot minutia and theory but the simplest test images are not included to my thinking. I would have been happier but still given pause if they did show two pieced so exposed as I suggest with similar amounts of bubbles in them, but then note a meaningful 2% higher count in their cell piece.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
DaveC

Post by DaveC »

Richard -

I think they've left a few sensible controls undone.

It's interesting that you mentioned cosmic rays and solar activities here. I had been mulling over just what effects to expect from high energy particles on an electrolytic experiment using heavy water.

In a polarization maintaining cell, the electrodes in heavy water would be increasingly "doped" with D and even tiny quantities of naturally occurring T. It is known that H can permeate steel pipe over the course of years at essentially room temperature. This has occurred with cathodic protection systems.

Dave Cooper
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

The serious reports of LENR that have had runaway cells or successful heating events, always note that the PD had been extremely heavily loaded. In some old, (10yr +), papers, cosmic rays were hypothesized as possible trigger events to high load cathode runaway events.

In the LENR world, a lot of Scanning, Tunneling EM images have shown vast landscapes of micro melted cratering of the surfaces of PD cathodes that ranaway. Most researchers look at LENR as totally a surface based process.

Note runaway is when cell heating begins and is beyond the electrical power input and tends to continue after the cell power is cutoff. Heating often continues for minutes or hours. Some few cells have been observed to boil off or, more often, evaporate their electrolyte water content after power is removed. (very rare)

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment

Return to “Fusion --- Past, Present, and Future”