Fusor in Local paper

Reflections on fusion history, current events, and predictions for the 'fusion powered future.
honickmonster

Fusor in Local paper

Post by honickmonster »

Today, my fusor was featured in a newspaper article, published in the "Our Town" (a special inset that deals with the particular town to which the paper is delivered) section in the Democrat and Chronicle (the main paper for the City of Rochester).

Note, it was on the front page of the Brighton (my town) "Our Town" section, which I believe has more to do with a lack of news in my town than the newsworthiness of my story.

Here it is:
http://www.democratandchronicle.com/art ... ion-device

I think the paper did a pretty good job of getting the few facts and science they included in the article correct. They did a good job (unintentional, I think) of not mentioning the radiation and mild dangers, as these types of details tend to get thrown out of proportion and turned into stories about how the device is going to blow up the neighborhood (which will not happen).

Matthew Honickman
Doug Coulter

Re: Fusor in Local paper

Post by Doug Coulter »

Congrats! Yes, looks like they did a decent job. Probably didn't hurt that you helped a bit by being communicative. And nice chaotic lab -- I can relate.
Why guess when you can know? Measure!
Chris Bradley

Post by Chris Bradley »

That lab looks *very* orderly to me.

... err.. perhaps I only have a poor example to compare with!!! :?

Nice little piece and as you say it's a good upbeat piece written up as "postive news" where everyone comes out looking fine, including the fusor.net mention!
Carl Willis

Post by Carl Willis »

Hi Matthew,

Nice article, something you should be proud of. Did you operate the fusor for the reporter?

-Carl
Carl Willis
http://carlwillis.wordpress.com/
TEL: +1-505-412-3277
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

My many congrats as well Matthew. I am glad you made this success while still in high school. This is a mighty accomplishment. You'll have many more in this life for sure.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
DaveC

Post by DaveC »

Matt -

My congratulations, too! That IS a nicely written and appreciative article. Maybe, in your part of the land there are some folks who are more comofrtable with science.

I think your clean, organized layout, certainly helps to provide the sense of competency that is valued.

Way to go!!..

Dave Cooper
Paul_Schatzkin
Site Admin

Post by Paul_Schatzkin »

That's the sort of story I like to see... so I posted it to the front page at fusor.net

Congratulations, Matthew, on a job well done and the recognition it deserves. Good luck getting into MIT or Cal-Tech, I hope you do. But be careful, you don't want them telling you want to think...
Paul Schatzkin, aka "The Perfesser" – Founder and Host of Fusor.net
Author of The Boy Who Invented Television: 2023 Edition – https://amz.run/6ag1
"Fusion is not 20 years in the future; it is 60 years in the past and we missed it."
AFW

Post by AFW »

I clicked on the link, and got the paper's website, but couldn't find the article. What am I not doing that everyoe else does?? I entered "nuclear fusion device" in the Search box, and got 'There were no results for "nuclear fusion device" '
Tony Webb

Return to “Fusion --- Past, Present, and Future”