Fusors as art.

Reflections on fusion history, current events, and predictions for the 'fusion powered future.
Pascal Dennerly

Fusors as art.

Post by Pascal Dennerly »

El Reg has an interesting article about a piece entitled "Perpetual Study in Defeat" - which some here (Mr. Hull?) might find poetic.

http://www.reghardware.com/2010/06/08/a ... ing_award/
Richard Hull

Re: Fusors as art.

Post by Richard Hull »

I kicked around for a full year back in 97 and part of 98 with two demo fusors. This was to win a certain intimacy with the ionization of gases and co-jointly consume two or three entire books on the subject. It was a most thrilling time and not one hour of it wasted. I often worry at the rapidity with which others blast through their demo fusor periods. Did they stop to smell the roses or was the fixation on the mission all that drove them?

There is art in science. Art enough to feast upon for a lifetime. Thus, my life as an amateur scientist while whoring myself out as a hard-nosed engineer to put bread on the table. Not that I don't enjoy my engineering job, but it is pretty much pre-specified, result based work. The great advantage of the engineering is the contact with many of the sciences which I can take home to my lab and play with.

I consider myself fortunate to have been born when I was. A time when I could get on the OakGrove #74 bus, go down town, pickup 2 liters of Nitric Acid and 1 liter of Nitro Methane from Phipps & Byrd chemical Co. and get back on the bus to take it home.

I could write to Atomic Corporation of America and drop my check for $22.50 in with the letter and a few days later have my mailman drop off my "9 pak" of radioisotopes where I had to add 10 ml of distilled water to each of the nine bottles and "shake" to achieve a known activity per milliliter.

We were taught the art of science in common public schools then by teachers who did not have to fear for their lives and enjoyed every moment of imparting knowledge. Students, for their part, were in fear of the teacher's wrath followed by that of concerned parents should they step out of line.

Times, they do change........

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Starfire

Re: Fusors as art.

Post by Starfire »

And perhaps a little 'Black Art' on ocassion

Return to “Fusion --- Past, Present, and Future”