NWNC 2013 School Year End & News Letter

Reflections on fusion history, current events, and predictions for the 'fusion powered future.
KJNW

NWNC 2013 School Year End & News Letter

Post by KJNW »

The Northwest Nuclear Consortium has wrapped up this school year, and is already saying goodbye to many college bound fusioneers. Take a moment to glance through the 4 pages of our attached news letter and marvel at the value the team has produced in the last 9 months, and the history they have made in the state of Washington as well as world wide. :-) We have already backfilled the departing 7 slots with 7 newbies from the wait list, and there are still more who wish to become one of the "exalted 12" students of Northwest Nuclear Consortium. There is a new chapter now starting in Richland, Washington.

Carl G
Attachments
June2013.pdf
(826.49 KiB) Downloaded 855 times
Carl Greninger
North West Nuclear Consortium
http://www.NWNC.us.com
cgren@microsoft.com
Richard Hull

Re: NWNC 2013 School Year End & News Letter

Post by Richard Hull »

Fabulous effort Carl! Keep those home fusion fires burning!

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Carl Willis

Post by Carl Willis »

Great job, Carl.

You've pioneered a new, innovative model for nuclear education, and it's clearly working well. I hope it's an example others will build on around the world. Great newsletter! Welcome to the seven new students; I hope we get to meet each of you on this forum.

-Carl Willis
Carl Willis
http://carlwillis.wordpress.com/
TEL: +1-505-412-3277
Jim Kovalchick

Post by Jim Kovalchick »

Wow Carl G. The newsletter shows that you are running a world class STEM program. I hope that our government and school systems are taking notice and providing you some funding. I suspect that there are few places your students can go to college where they won't get a let down from what you provided. Well done.

Jim Kovalchick
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

I'll go along with Jim on this. Where are the grads from Carls group gonna' go to be even more stimulated!

Sadly, this was the ultimate fate of the highly intelligent and active, Joe Zambelli in the early 2000. Joe built one of the first stunningly elegant fusors making an amateur fusor splash long before its time. He was granted a free Phd ride at Princeton after a summa cum laude from Bucknell. Within a year or so, he dropped out as he was thrown into modeling fusion systems just as their tokamak was being dismantled. Nothing to see. Nothing to spur and stimulate. Very sad.

I think he now teaches in West Virginia. I hope he is inspiring others in his profession.

Those who would like a view of what this young fellow did 100% on his own, before he got his B.S., with only some of dad's money and the will to succeed while the fledgling fusion part of Songs.com was still growing, go to....

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=7796&p=55755&hilit=Zambelli#p55755

I was stunned when I visited him. The pix are not at school but in his parents finished basement. Everything was homemade. He built his TIG welder, his chrome encased neutron detector, th' works folks! He had no milling machine only a drill press in his Dad's garage. Princeton, one of the biggest fusion schools in the land, was just a big let down and fizzle.

Again, I hope Carl's kids fair much better and can keep the momentum going in school. Most will, I am sure.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment

Return to “Fusion --- Past, Present, and Future”