A fusor in Taiwan

Reflections on fusion history, current events, and predictions for the 'fusion powered future.
Jim Kovalchick

A fusor in Taiwan

Post by Jim Kovalchick »

Here is a story about a young man getting an extreme run around from ignorant fear mongers in Taiwan.

http://www.wantchinatimes.com/news-subc ... 1&cid=1104
Richard Hull

Re: A fusor in Taiwan

Post by Richard Hull »

Jim,

Thanks for the posting. A great story of ignorance and stupidity at the highest levels of academia in Taiwan. Alarmism and fearmongering at it very finest taken a step or two further. A plus ultra example of human ignorance in the face of no knowledge being brought to bear.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Jim Kovalchick

Post by Jim Kovalchick »

Yes. It sounds like this young man would have done better if he had got his teacher in the bag with him first. I know a lot can be lost in both translation and in both sides of the story, but it looks like his teacher was pleading ignorance.

Cheers go out to fusioneers Jake Hecla and Robert Tubbs for communicating with the student online with advise and encouragement. I think Jake was helping him with ideas for funding his legal defense.
Jim Kovalchick

Post by Jim Kovalchick »

Attitudes about nuclear technology in Taiwan were significantly impacted by Fukushima, perhaps because of the Asia-Pacific nearness. I spent some time last summer discussing this with the father of someone who would attending school at Michigan with my son. This gentleman was successful in a technical field. He had an open mind about nuclear technologies, but he indicated that others in Taiwan were pretty hostile toward it. He told me that he was concerned about not using nuclear and not having enough electric power that didn't rely on off-island sources.

Return to “Fusion --- Past, Present, and Future”