Latest Fusion research funding news

Reflections on fusion history, current events, and predictions for the 'fusion powered future.
Richard Hull

Re: Latest Fusion research funding news

Post by Richard Hull »

The big boys scrambling for "walk around" fusion money......big money....50 billion for ITER and still climbing.... and it is planned to generate not 1 watt of actual usable electricity! That is to be the job of "demo", BUT........only if ITER is completely successful; otherwise, no "demo" and no fusion energy, maybe for the next 150 years!! and 100's of billions spent.

MOX fuels in the fission plants are working overtime in aging reactors. Build new ones NOW! Actively investigate Thorium breeders.....These are short term answers while we continue to diddle and dabble with failed fusion efforts.

I would like several tons of good old coal delivered soon. That's the hear and now.

Fusion has continued to prove itself to be the great all powerful energy of the future........A very distant and ever forward moving future.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Bob Reite

Re: Latest Fusion research funding news

Post by Bob Reite »

Me, I heat my house with very low tech wood, although in a modified outdoor boiler that gets 85% combustion efficiency and no visible smoke once all the wood has "caught". As far as commercial amounts of power goes, thorium cycle reactors are the way to go near term. Use the thorium byproduct of coal mining. And instead of burning the coal directly, convert it to synthetic diesel fuel using the Fischer-Tropsh and similar processes. This would be less polluting.
The more reactive the materials, the more spectacular the failures.
The testing isn't over until the prototype is destroyed.

Return to “Fusion --- Past, Present, and Future”