Polishing Chamber

For posts specifically relating to fusor design, construction, and operation.
David Kunkle

Polishing Chamber

Post by David Kunkle »

HI all,

The 3 pieces of my chamber should be here in a week or so. I want to take it from mill finish to mirror, so I'm collecting everything I need before it arrives. I've searched the forum as well as google, but found no concrete info on how to get from mill finish to 400 grit. (I have compounds to go from 400 grit to mirror finish.) Most sources say sanding to start on a mill finish is the way to go, but they also say start with 80 grit. 80 seems like it would practically put gouges in the SS, but maybe I just have seen this "mill finish" yet! ;) I have an air powered DA and thinking about just getting the right grit foam/flexible discs for it. Thanks for any help.
If your experiment needs statistics, you ought to have done a better experiment.

Ernest Rutherford
Dennis P Brown

Re: Polishing Chamber

Post by Dennis P Brown »

You are correct, 80 grit would produce large scratches. I'd think 400 with a power drill/pads would do a good first pass.
Jerry Biehler

Post by Jerry Biehler »

Why do you want to polish the chamber? Cosmetic?
David Kunkle

Post by David Kunkle »

I'm planning on doing the inside and outside. Partly cosmetic (outside- hey why not while I'm at it?), and the inside to go to e-8 for experiments before it gets messed up from sputtering or other such things.
If your experiment needs statistics, you ought to have done a better experiment.

Ernest Rutherford
David Kunkle

Post by David Kunkle »

Dennis P Brown wrote:You are correct, 80 grit would produce large scratches. I'd think 400 with a power drill/pads would do a good first pass.
I did finally find a site that recommended 320 to start on a mill finish. I think I'll try 400 to start. May take a little longer, but then I can skip right to the compounds. The coarse one states it will take it from 400 grit to a bright gloss/near mirror finish. The other 2 should get me the rest of the way.

The company supplying the 3 pieces wanted about $150 extra to put a 180 grit finish on them. At least I have a compressor and all the right air tools for this. No doubt it'll still be quite a bit of work.

Ernest Rutherford
prestonbarrows

Post by prestonbarrows »

Abrasive polishing on the interior should be avoided if aiming for ultra high vacuum (<1E-8 Torr). To get into this range, all interior surfaces must be immaculate. Abrasive methods will tend to roughen the surface providing higher surface area and more sites to adsorb water etc. It really won't improve properly machined surfaces vacuum-wise. It is also a good way to screw up knife edges. 'mirror' finish is not necessarily good for vacuum, notice that you don't see any commercial stock parts with specifically mirrored surfaces.

Electropolishing is one of the best methods for cleaning up fresh parts after milling for ultra high vacuum. Sandblasting or beadblasting is also good if the media is kept very clean. Short of that, ultrasonic bath in a mild vacuum detergent such as Alconox or similar is standard.

If these are stock vacuum parts you ordered, don't bother polishing them unless they are pre-used have horrid deposits inside. In the latter case, it is probably better to just find new fresh hardware anyways.

If they are custom parts, try to get them electropolished or blasted from the machinist.

You won't be getting near 1E-8 Torr ranges anyways without a pretty serious pump, a small chamber, all metal seals, high temp bake-outs, no blind holes or trapped volumes, proper welds, no outgassing materials, no oil/fingerprints, and/or a combination of those.

There's no need to get such low pressures for amateur plasma rigs anyways besides for bragging rights.
Jerry Biehler

Post by Jerry Biehler »

Yep, he is right. You dont need to polish the inside of the chamber. But you will be going though hell getting it down. You can do it with a diff pump but a turbo and an ion pump is what you will need to get down there. And lots of baking and a lot of time pumping down. It will probably take a week to get it down to -8 for the first time.
David Kunkle

Post by David Kunkle »

Well, I'm not necessarily aiming for UHV. I would like to get down as close as I reasonably can to 1E-8. I have seen member posts that have gotten down to this range even with Viton gaskets.

I thought polishing was an advantage for lower vacuum since it decreases surface area for water, etc. to adhere to. The mill finish the chamber is going to have has to have a much rougher surface than if I were to take it to a mirror finish?

I won't be trying to polish around any knife edges. The few used flanges from ebay are in very good shape- most I have to order from LDS anytime now. (As I'm writing this, the doorbell rang, and the pieces to make the vacuum chamber have arrived!)

I have a 200 l/s turbo and a roughing pump that has gotten down to about 3 millitorr.

I understand it'll take baking and pumping time initially. Also thinking about hooking up a nitrogen supply to the "up to air" valve when the pumps are shut off.

Any ideas for a simple heating element to cook the inside of the chamber?

Thanks.

Ernest Rutherford
Dennis P Brown

Post by Dennis P Brown »

Most people heat the outside of the chamber; using radiant energy would be very inefficient. One can get heating tape at some hardware stores (for outside pipes.) A variac could control the temperature.

For a fusor, as I understand from posts here, 10^-6 torr is fine relative to removing unwanted trace gasses. If the chamber can bottom that out range, then it is doing very well.
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Just saying.........I often start admitting D2 at 10e-4 torr or high 10e-5 and that is good enough to get me to the mega n/s mark. The bottom pressure is no big deal. Most fusors work at 10e-2 torr to hit the mega mark and that would make only 1 part in 100 of garbage so it is not critical at all to "bottom out" in the basement of 10-6 or below. You are working with flowing deuterium anyway.

The fusor is easy that way when it comes to vacuum. It's not hyper critical.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Jerry Biehler

Post by Jerry Biehler »

Dennis P Brown wrote:Most people heat the outside of the chamber; using radiant energy would be very inefficient. One can get heating tape at some hardware stores (for outside pipes.) A variac could control the temperature.

For a fusor, as I understand from posts here, 10^-6 torr is fine relative to removing unwanted trace gasses. If the chamber can bottom that out range, then it is doing very well.
I get down to the -8 range on my chamber without much issue, it does take a couple days to do it, which for a chamber the size of mine is not too surprising. And the whole thing is nitrile or viton seals. Of course I do have a 2000l/s turbo on it...

You can heat the outside. What I do is use a 1kw linear quartz halogen lamp to heat things up from the inside. This way you get heating on any surface within line of sight of the lamp. You can also use shortwave mercury UV lamps instead. The UV knocks the water molecules off the wall.

ImageIMG_8204 by macona, on Flickr

ImageIMG_8209 by macona, on Flickr
Dennis P Brown

Post by Dennis P Brown »

That is impressive - to reach 10^-8 torr routinely! You have a very good system.

As for using a UV source to breakup water on the chamber walls, an excellent trick used by a number of professional systems, too. Very good method if one needs to reach very high purity levels in their chamber but not for most fusors much less beginners. Still, external chamber wall heating is the easiest and most efficient method for clearing the walls of trap gasses for someone concerned with that issue (all types of gasses; but you are correct that water is the most difficult and common and that a hard UV lamp could be used. But it is important to add information on the danger of using a UV lamp - then NO quartz windows can be used on the chamber!)

Dry nitrogen would be useful as would (cheaper) dry air.

I notice you have a quartz thickness monitor in one picture - what use is that in a fusor or is that a coating system you are showing pictures for? If so, what do you coat?
David Kunkle

Post by David Kunkle »

Dennis P Brown wrote:Most people heat the outside of the chamber; using radiant energy would be very inefficient. One can get heating tape at some hardware stores (for outside pipes.) A variac could control the temperature.
Never would have thought of that. So, basically wrap the chamber with as much heating tape as you dare (or can afford) while the pumps are running?

You mention controlling the temp. Wouldn't it be the hotter the better to vaporize everything off the walls?

Thanks.

Ernest Rutherford
David Kunkle

Post by David Kunkle »

Jerry Biehler wrote: I get down to the -8 range on my chamber without much issue, it does take a couple days to do it, which for a chamber the size of mine is not too surprising. And the whole thing is nitrile or viton seals. Of course I do have a 2000l/s turbo on it...

You can heat the outside. What I do is use a 1kw linear quartz halogen lamp to heat things up from the inside. This way you get heating on any surface within line of sight of the lamp. You can also use shortwave mercury UV lamps instead. The UV knocks the water molecules off the wall.
I must have run across your old posts using non-metal seals and reaching -8. What is the size of your chamber?

Ernest Rutherford
prestonbarrows

Post by prestonbarrows »

Jerry Biehler wrote: ... 2000l/s turbo on it...
Yup, that is how you get to 1E-8 using elastomer seals; throw around $50,000 worth of pumping on a smallish chamber.
Jerry Biehler

Post by Jerry Biehler »

David Kunkle wrote:
I must have run across your old posts using non-metal seals and reaching -8. What is the size of your chamber?
26" in diameter and about 30" tall. Just a wee thing! viewtopic.php?f=10&t=9501
Dennis P Brown wrote:
Dry nitrogen would be useful as would (cheaper) dry air.

I notice you have a quartz thickness monitor in one picture - what use is that in a fusor or is that a coating system you are showing pictures for? If so, what do you coat?
Or use argon, argon is much easier to pump out.

I am building a system for doing coating. E-beam, sputtering, and thermal dep all in one. Hoping to use it to make dielectric mirror and filters. I finished up the passbank for the filament controller on the thermal size of things, a professor-friend at Portland State has some sputter gun and small e-beam gun designs I am going to try.
Jerry Biehler

Post by Jerry Biehler »

David Kunkle wrote:
Never would have thought of that. So, basically wrap the chamber with as much heating tape as you dare (or can afford) while the pumps are running?

You mention controlling the temp. Wouldn't it be the hotter the better to vaporize everything off the walls?

Thanks.
I set up a PID temp controller with my tape and a thermocouple. I dont run much past 250F. No normal heat tape will not go this high, this is kind of special silicone heat tape. You can find them on ebay sometimes, be prepared for sticker shock. Be sure to watch your temps if you do have rubber seals. They dont like much past 200F.

Radiative heating works quite well. You dont need the heat so much as you need the energy. As long as you have energy hitting the inside of the chamber it will help, especially with anything else in the chamber as it will get heated or irradiated as well. The base plate for my chamber is 1" thick stainless, if I remember right, after about an hour it is actually quite hot and the lamp is a couple feet away.
Jerry Biehler

Post by Jerry Biehler »

This is my old vacuum system and I installed a 250w Ushio Ultra High Pressure mercury lamp inside it and powered it off my tig welder. It worked very well! I had the RGA running when I fired it up monitoring mass 18 for water vapor, you can see the massive spike on the laptop screen from where the lamp turned on.

ImageUshio Mercury Lamp in vacuum chamber by macona, on Flickr
Dennis P Brown

Post by Dennis P Brown »

Any varaic will control the heating tape temp and a good first point to try would be 50 C (digital thermometers with a remote sensor can be had rather cheap at most hardware stores.) See what that does to improve your base pressure. Walking up in temp can be done but I am no expert on what most seals on any given chamber can withstand so be careful (thermal expansion is an issue that cause or enhance leaks. I'd think standard KF o-rings could handle up to 100 C but might want to research that before going very high.) Internal heating requires feed through and filaments which aren't always easy/cheap for people but does work. You are correct that high temp heating tape is expensive ... .

I'd like to see a thread on your system, Mr. Biehler. Coatings do relate to fusors but this is a thread on chamber polishing ... .
Bob Reite

Post by Bob Reite »

I wouldn't go above 50 C, unless your system is all metal seals.
The more reactive the materials, the more spectacular the failures.
The testing isn't over until the prototype is destroyed.
Jerry Biehler

Post by Jerry Biehler »

O-rings can take way more heat than 50C and even 100C:

http://www.duniway.com/images/_pg/viton ... orings.pdf

A thread on my vacuum system:

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/thread ... uum-system
David Kunkle

Post by David Kunkle »

Jerry Biehler wrote:O-rings can take way more heat than 50C and even 100C:

http://www.duniway.com/images/_pg/viton ... orings.pdf
Thanks for reminding me- I've actually had that link saved for some time since I will have one big Viton gasket. I probably would've forgotten about it by the time it comes to cooking it.

Started some grinding on my chamber pieces, and came to the realization that one guy on the internet was right about starting with 80 grit on a mill finish. Also talked to the welding shop, and he confirmed that I'll have to start with 80, then 200, 400, and then polishing compounds. Still be lots of work, but now that I finally know what equipment I need, at least I'll be able to really get started soon.

On the plus side, he thinks most all the welds can be done from the inside.

Ernest Rutherford
Dennis P Brown

Post by Dennis P Brown »

To cut away weld joints, 80 grit would do it but to grind an already flat, and smooth surface with 80 grit? Most mill worked piece's I've cut are rather smooth. Maybe yours isn't smooth enough but 80 grit is very aggressive. Still, if you want to learn how to grind and polish steel, there is only one way to learn and that is to do it. As such, why not try it on a small test piece of steel to learn what you need to do before trying it on your chamber. That way, you can try anything and not worry about fixing a mistake on your expensive chamber ... .
David Kunkle

Post by David Kunkle »

Hi all,

Working on polishing my chamber pieces. First I thought the SS was painted or had a coating. Tried removing it with acetone, then paint stripper. Nope. It's just the "mill finish". For the record in case anyone wants to accomplish the same thing down the road, here's what I found to work best so far to polish mill finish.

Turns out I did have to start with 80 grit. This still takes a fair amount of time to cut through the mill finish which I would describe as millions of tiny pits that, collectively, give the metal surface a dull, satin, greyish appearance. Flap disc on a grinder seems to work the best and the flap discs last seemingly forever for 10 bucks- unlike a sandpaper disc which is shot in a minute or two. Also, I have newfound respect (fear would probably be a better word for it) for angle grinders. It kicked back on me Sunday, and the 80 grit removed a significant strip/deep chunk of flesh from one finger in an instant. Never injured myself this badly with a power tool before. Nearly went to the ER, but decided to nurse it myself. So far so good- or at least it doesn't seem to be infected and the finger hasn't fallen off. ;)

Then 120 grit flap disc (finest grit anyone makes them in) takes out the 80 grit scratches. Trying to go straight to 240 grit sandpaper discs takes too long and too much $$$. Next, 240 grit sanding discs go fairly quickly to remove the 120 grit scratches.

I'm now looking at 400 grit sanding discs which should go fast since all the deep scratches are now gone by the time the 240 grit is done. After that, coarse polishing compound, followed by 2 finer compounds to get to the finished mirror-like finish.

In the photo, the cylinder on the left is untouched mill finish- except for the bright strip where the weld was factory ground. The head on the right is done with the 240 grit.
Attachments
002.JPG

Ernest Rutherford

Return to “Fusor Construction & Operation (& FAQs)”