Toroidal fusor

For posts specifically relating to fusor design, construction, and operation.
David Nagy

Toroidal fusor

Post by David Nagy »

Hello,
I was considering building a toroidal fusor but I have not been able to find much on it. My main questions were about the grid and how to construct the fusor, more specifically what geometry should the grid be and how big and how I should build the chamber it's self.

Thank you
In some sort of crude sense, which no vulgarity, no humor, no overstatement can quite extinguish, the physicists have known sin; and this is a knowledge which they cannot lose.

J. Robert Oppenheimer
Richard Hull

Re: Toroidal fusor

Post by Richard Hull »

Major question..............Why toroidal? Very complex, seemingly no advantage. Answer to one of your questions........No!... No one has ever built or discussed a toroidal fusor, so no real knowledge base here on this. You would be the pioneer on this, if you ever get a wagon train organized to venture out onto the toroidal prairie.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Chris Bradley

Post by Chris Bradley »

Discussed, Richard, but pending a pioneer of a practical implementation.

My particular discussion of a toroidal topology was in respect of benefits gained for reduced electron conductance with a weak toroidal magnetic field:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2854&p=12364#p12364

I shall let the intrepid forum-explorers find the old links to any other toroidal discussion that others may have spawned.
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Thanks. I re-read those old 2008 missives. Seems not much done on the idea as you noted.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Adam Szendrey

Post by Adam Szendrey »

Hehe..I see this popped back up...so waaay back when, 12 years ago...

This might be the post you link to in your 2008 topic Chris, but those links don't work any more.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2365&hilit=toroidal

There was also discussion about concentric multi grid systems, cylindrical systems, multi-cylindrical systems...Unfortunately discussion is all I got to, and didn't have the chance to test those ideas.

I didn't read this new thread yet, I'll take a closer look at some point.

This grid geometry has been implemented experimentally to some degree. There was another fusor with a toroid grid but I can't find the photos for that one.
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=7725&p=55967&hilit=toroid

Back then Richard, you did say this on the subject:
"I like this thought....................

I like it mainly because it effectively increases the amount of plasma undergoing fusion into a stream. There are other whacked out possibilities here perhaps. "

I actually have a rather large vacuum system now, but not a damned lab, basement or attic to put it in...But that's in the works! In a year or two I should have my own lab built here beside my house. Yes, yes...promises, promises!
prestonbarrows

Post by prestonbarrows »

One of the preferred ways for making large grids at the university is to make a Styrofoam form , wrap wire around that and spot weld the seams , then dissolve away the form with a solvent. I am pretty sure there are papers/posters buried somewhere in the FTI site that outline the process but it is really straight forward.

Return to “Fusor Construction & Operation (& FAQs)”