Trouble Obtaining Deuterium

For posts specifically relating to fusor design, construction, and operation.
David Kunkle

Trouble Obtaining Deuterium

Post by David Kunkle »

Trying to get deuterium lately, but not much luck.

Advanced Specialty Gases- only very large quantities.
Sigma Aldrich- gave me the third degree- Even after answering (satisfactorily in my opinion) all their questions, they refused to sell me anything because they claim it isn't directly related to my business.
Praxair- said they have it, but smallest is 100L for $1300. Don't know what paperwork hoops I still might have to jump thru there.
Matheson- they have as small as 20 L for about $250, but I have to fill out forms involving among other things, tax ID #, intended use, copies of safety program, security program, emergency response plan, whether the deuterium will be shipped outside the US, etc. I can provide all the above even if some is slightly BS. But, I'm paranoid I'll get turned down like at Sigma-Aldrich.

I don't seem to be able to find any other companies that sell D2.
Any suggestion on what to do? What to tell Matheson- like about the intended use?
I think I read something about the NRC having its fingers in D2 now. Is this something new with all the questions and legal documents?
If your experiment needs statistics, you ought to have done a better experiment.

Ernest Rutherford
Richard Hull

Re: Trouble Obtaining Deuterium

Post by Richard Hull »

I am sure HS is in this, but more likely the companies are covering their own butts. No one ever got into trouble selling to a reputable business. A lot of this is about corporate liability.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Roberto Ferrari

Post by Roberto Ferrari »

Hi David
Try again
http://www.advancedspecialtygases.com/index.html
They offer lecture bottles.

Regards
Roberto
David Kunkle

Post by David Kunkle »

How long ago did you last buy any from them? I just talked to them again. Yeah, they have lecture bottles of D2, but they will only sell to universities and large research institutions. This is relatively recent and it is company policy. There is no legal obligation, but this is apparently because DHS has been eyeballing it lately. All this from ASG's guy- not my speculation. Thanks for trying.
If your experiment needs statistics, you ought to have done a better experiment.

Ernest Rutherford
Bob Reite

Post by Bob Reite »

I'm afraid that with all the DHS paranoia, the only way to get Deuterium now is via electrolysis of Deuterium Oxide.
The more reactive the materials, the more spectacular the failures.
The testing isn't over until the prototype is destroyed.
Rex Allers

Post by Rex Allers »

Well, that's an ugly development. I've been slowly accumulating parts to build a fusor, but I am getting closer. I don't like it, but I guess it isn't surprising that the govt is getting into the middle of this too.

I was leaning toward electrolysis anyway but this thread just caused me to order 200 g of D2O from United Nuclear as insurance. They have nasty shipping charges. On my order it was more than 10% of the total.

I remember some discussion earlier about them not clearly specifying purity of the D2O. I took another gamble on that. I hope someone has, by now, used their D2O for fusion electrolysis. Any informed feedback on the quality of what I just ordered would be appreciated.

Now an electrolysis apparatus and dryer is added to my TBD list.

Glad there are some examples from people on this forum about how it might be done.
Rex Allers
Bob Reite

Post by Bob Reite »

I have successfully used the deuterium oxide from United Nuclear to obtain deuterium for my fusor.
The more reactive the materials, the more spectacular the failures.
The testing isn't over until the prototype is destroyed.
Roberto Ferrari

Post by Roberto Ferrari »

I see...
By June 2014 I bought from them a lecture bottle.
May be some small company of your knowledge can order it and resell it to you.
Good luck!
David Kunkle

Post by David Kunkle »

I may have done something I will regret. I called Praxair back and ordered the 100L tank of D2 for $1300. He said it'll be at the local shop in 2 weeks to pickup. Just wanted my phone #. No credit card, paperwork, etc. I'll hold my breath a bit hoping I don't get a call back explaining how I have to jump thru a bunch of paperwork hoops after all.

At least it comes setup for a 350 regulator- don't have to spend more $$ to adapt it. And I won't have to figure out how to get D2 from heavy water and get it into my system- not to mention whatever that would cost. We'll see how long heavy water is legal.

I may also now be in the side business of selling blackmarket D2 to get my cost down. ;)

Ernest Rutherford
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Good man! Some companies are just happy to get the business. I think we had one other fellow who did rebottle small amounts from his big tank for amateur fusioneers. Gas is always better from an application standpoint than electrolysis for the fusioneer. It is also the most difficult and expensive way to get your D2 gas. Heavy water is rather easy to get and about 50 cents/ gram-cc, but the electrolysis has to be done well to get clean, high purity dry gas.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
George Dowell

Post by George Dowell »

" Heavy water is rather easy to get and about 50 cents/ gram-cc, "

or 1.11 g/cc

George Dowell

Return to “Fusor Construction & Operation (& FAQs)”