Optional Fusor Additions

For posts specifically relating to fusor design, construction, and operation.
Doug Tallmadge

Optional Fusor Additions

Post by Doug Tallmadge »

Hi guys, I'm familiar with the basic fusor construction, however I've been looking to compile a list of accessories I might wish to add later on so that I can buy/build a vacuum chamber that can be reused. I know some more advanced designs call for ion guns and additional confinement methods, however I was wondering if there are additional features that some of the more experienced members would recommend building compatibility for from the beginning. The fusor I'm building is intended to serve as an university upper level plasma course device that students may end up using for course work so we would like to be able to try a number of different versions with one chamber.
Dennis P Brown

Re: Optional Fusor Additions

Post by Dennis P Brown »

I have done a lot of vacuum work and one thing I have learned over the years, one never has enough feed through ports. Whether high voltage feed through ports, or high current one, or more vacuum gauges access ports or a big enough pump out port or a secondary fore-line port location or even just a simple vacuum tight but easy to open "door" are all items that pay big dividends when added early in the building process to a chamber. This allows a chamber to host many different functions. So, having more access ports (which means a lot of covers when not used!) can make a very versatile chamber.
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Dennis is correct. Original design of the chamber is very important. So important, I wrote a special FAQ on original design processes. The old adage about you can never have too many ports is well taken. However, more ports mean more "blank-offs" needed on the first pass fusor work. This translates into more areas for possible vacuum leaks for the neophyte. It may also translate into a larger chamber to support the "more ports" adage. Larger chambers are more costly as are more port arms. Larger chambers also require more flowing, expensive deuterium gas and a more serious vaccum system.

The only reason you should consider more ports than necessary, and a larger chamber, is if you plan on expansion and further research effort with your fusion system once the simple fusor fusion stage is completed. You will need to bring a lot of cash to the initial effort. More cash will be needed along with a lot more experience once you start to "accessorize". Look and think before you leap.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Doug Tallmadge

Post by Doug Tallmadge »

Thank you both. Determining the difference between what if's and actual working designs has definitely been confusing me so I appreciate the help.
Royce Jones

Post by Royce Jones »

Have you considered a cylindrical chamber rather than a spherical one? It might be cheaper to construct and additionally it could you give you more and cheaper options for add-ons such as permanent magnets, etc. If you go cylindrical make the grid full length.
Frank Sanns
Site Admin

Post by Frank Sanns »

Many shapes have been used for fusor chambers. Spherical ones probably give the highest neutron count if you subscribe to the wall loading theory. Larger chambers of all shapes give more flexibility in studying plasma behavior even outside of the outer grid that is typically used in non-spherical chambers.

I have a large 6 way cross which I like because I can set up experiments in the alcoves of the chamber. Cylindrical has also been done by others with success.

Figure out how many ports you need then go for it. I personally do not like to put anything directly through my chamber. All perforations into the chamber are through conflates. This allows for quick changes as well as protection if something goes wrong. Far easier to replace a conflat plate than having to rework the chamber itself.
Achiever's madness; when enough is still not enough. ---FS
We have to stop looking at the world through our physical eyes. The universe is NOT what we see. It is the quantum world that is real. The rest is just an electron illusion. ---FS

Return to “Fusor Construction & Operation (& FAQs)”