A Bunch of Successes

For posts specifically relating to fusor design, construction, and operation.
Jackson Oswalt

A Bunch of Successes

Post by Jackson Oswalt »

Hello all!

I discovered why I had a crappy vacuum. The copper gaskets hadn't made a good seal. I guess it's because of my 12 year old arms not being able to fully tighten the bolts. So, I went to LDS vacuum for some viton gaskets along with 12 point bolts. After replacing the gaskets, I hooked the entire system up to my Edwards e2m5 pump. I pumped it down for 15 minutes and was astonished to see that I had reached 20 microns. Out of curiosity, I gave around 30kv from my 50kv power supply and got the most beautiful, white plasma that filled the entire chamber. Star mode at last! I tried to take a picture, but it was far to bright. At that point, the pressure had rose to 280 microns do to the plasma evaporating contaminates on the grid. I plan to test my diffusion pump and supply some pictures later today.

If you have any questions, concerns, or suggestions they would be much appreciated.

-JO
Youngest person to build a fusor
Dennis P Brown

Re: A Bunch of Successes

Post by Dennis P Brown »

Very glad to hear. Onward towards a fusor.
Scott Moroch

Re: A Bunch of Successes

Post by Scott Moroch »

Congrats, good work. Just make sure you not looking directly at the plasma at 30 kV as you are probably producing a significant amount of xrays at that voltage.

-Scott Moroch
"In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity"
-Albert Einstein

Return to “Fusor Construction & Operation (& FAQs)”