New design for fusion reactor.

For posts specifically relating to fusor design, construction, and operation.
William_Estlick

Re: New design for fusion reactor.

Post by William_Estlick »

The third wire (anode) is assists in directing the ions on a path between the cathodes. Once the ions enter an orbit, it probably serves little purpose but to maintain potential after that. I have found that the anode needs to be far enough away for a plasmoid to form.
William_Estlick

The anode on the side helps direct the ions path toward the cathodes. As they orbit the central region, collisions ionize particles and impart energy. I do find the highest temperatures and concentrations of plasma to be at the center, but I believe that is due to higher energies and tighter orbits.
William_Estlick

The third wire maintains potential, but the point of zero potential in the middle (cusp) would not contain high energy ions. It is the high negative potential pulling positively charged ions toward the central region that accelerates and holds high energy ions. I have observed pink vortexes between the two cathodes but it does not show up in the video.
Frank Sanns
Site Admin

Post by Frank Sanns »

Are you changing the chamber pressure during the run? What causes the arc from the side to nearly extinguish? What pressure and gas are in your chamber? Do you have any means to measure x rays and neutrons?
Achiever's madness; when enough is still not enough. ---FS
We have to stop looking at the world through our physical eyes. The universe is NOT what we see. It is the quantum world that is real. The rest is just an electron illusion. ---FS
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Frank just asked for data instead of speculation. It would be nice for those who want to follow this thread. Sort of what I asked for at first. Bob gave a great account of his effort.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
William_Estlick

I am vacuuming down the pressure during the run as it is the only variable I have at the moment besides electrode spacing. There is a sweet spot and when the pressure goes below that, I loose the plasmoid.
The arc apparently diminishes when the majority of the ions are orbiting the central region. It is just proof of concept and the gas is just air at this time.
I think I am producing radio waves, as my metal detector inadvertently went off 8' away. I am producing UV and that is probably what is overwhelming the cameras CCD.
Other than that I have no means of measurement though I am thinking of obtaining a spectrometer. I have observed green plasma probably due to to the copper anode.
Bob Reite

Post by Bob Reite »

More likely the CCD camera is getting swamped by infrared. The color filters do not cut off below visible light and the CCD is sensitive to IR.
The more reactive the materials, the more spectacular the failures.
The testing isn't over until the prototype is destroyed.
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Bob is correct again. The average board type camera, especially B&W models are hyper sensitive in the IR and a grid that is cold to the eye through a view port is glowing in video. One that is just barely a dull red through the viewport looks white hot in the video.

To test your camera, light a cigarette or cigar. Point the lit end of the smoke at the camera lens. Turn out the room lights and if your camera has an IR filter and is doing its job, you should see nothing. If you see a bright spot, your camera has no effective IR filtering.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
John Futter

Post by John Futter »

Richard
well said
you can also use a standard IR remote like you use for your telly
point it at the camera if you see a blue dot your camera is IR sensitive
Rich Feldman

Post by Rich Feldman »

The offending camera filter behavior is what astronomers call a red leak.
http://www.stsci.edu/hst/nicmos/perform ... leaks.html
http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/1997hst..prop.7661D

The first time it came to my attention was in 2000 with my first-ever digital camera.
Took a picture in the dark of a red chemical light-stick next to a red-hot electric range element of similar luminance. The latter appeared light violet in the image.

William: in your shoes I would outfit the "vacuum cooker" system to measure plasma current, then to measure chamber pressure. Can you stabilize the pressure at levels higher than minimum, by throttling the connection to vacuum pump?
All models are wrong; some models are useful. -- George Box
William_Estlick

It's UV.
I took photos of camp fire coals and my sons black light.
There where a few white spots in the coals, but the black light whited out.
I don't know if there is any point to detecting x-rays as I am not running deuterium as of yet.

Has anyone tried varying the voltage in the gigahertz range and how did you do it?

Return to “Fusor Construction & Operation (& FAQs)”