The Tokawell is Back- But Different

For posts specifically relating to fusor design, construction, and operation.
Dennis P Brown

Re: The Tokawell is Back- But Different

Post by Dennis P Brown »

Current existing Tokamaks fail for having too unstable of a field for anything except (if lucky) close too/break even and still have innate issues with stability; those achievements took decades to obtain; adding metal electrodes into the plasma is a disaster in all aspects. Reading your first post in this thread tells me you have read very little plasma physics and even less on tokamaks. Your 15,000 volts is far too low even for a fusor much less a Tokamak. The magnetic fields used in Tokamaks are many tens of thousands times more intense than the Earth's field in their plasma and you think the Earth's field even matters? You really need to read up on the field of Tokamaks. You also need to understand the difference between ion energy and applied voltage - you appear confused on that issue, maybe. Also, you can't possibly separate and isolate any significant number of electrons from their ions by any significant distance using magnetic/electric field humans can create - the plasma you (or really, anyone) create will be almost perfectly neutral.
Dan Tibbets

Post by Dan Tibbets »

Actually, the Earth's magnetic field may be contributory in special cases (not a Tokamak). Eric Learner has proposed that the Earth's puny magnetic field imparted a tiny angular momentum in the very early stages of the Theta pinch in his Dense Plasma Focus, and that this might explain some of his results.

To say a plasma has to be almost completely neutral is accurate, but relative. A very small imbalance may be obtainable and significant. The Polywell is an example. The electrons can be maintained in an ~ one part per million excess compared to the ions, and this can result in deep potential wells that drives the ion acceleration. Going to imbalances much above this does quickly become unobtainable. Some sort of electrostatic imbalance in the Field Reversed Configuration may also be used by Tri Alpha Energy to aid their confinement.

Dan Tibbets
Will Odom

Post by Will Odom »

I am not trying to contain plasma with magnetic fields. Mainly generate and confine electrons. 15kv is low yes but for a table top see if it I can even generate a plasma via IEC inside the toroid its enough. Thank you for the feed back guys. Have my glass vac chamber now just hunting a 3/8" sheet of aluminum. Ill post pics in kick starter and here later along with schematics. Im guess im trying to make a toroidal high beta magnet

Edit: also would like to state I have no formal education on this subject whatsoever. So go easy on me lol

Return to “Fusor Construction & Operation (& FAQs)”