Protecting against high energetic beam

For posts specifically relating to fusor design, construction, and operation.
Jack Puntawong

Protecting against high energetic beam

Post by Jack Puntawong »

Hey guys,

I was really busy with my school work and research and haven't come by lately. But, I'll back in the game, a little bit different game though since I bought this bad boy. However, people have been telling me that I should look into options to protect the viewport. Tyler told me that I should be protecting the viewport by inserting a screen mesh but someone told me that this doesn't work. The application this gate I'm looking into would be to explore the possibility of material science research and process. I'm shifting my gear to try and transform my fusor into that because changing this back to fusor would not be a difficult task. Any suggestions ? Also, I welcome project recommendation. I have not come to a conclusion of what experiment to perform

thanks,

Jack

Jim Kovalchick

Re: Protecting against high energetic beam

Post by Jim Kovalchick »

Options:
1. If practical, make the view port small enough to avoid impingement.
2. Construct and orient your grid so beams don't hit it. My new fusor uses a grid made up of meridian loops, and the beams are expected at the gaps lining up at the equator. I turned my grid opening away from the view port the best I could.
3. Use a magnet to deflect beams off the port. I thought I read a recent post from Andrew Seltzman where he did that.
4. Put a sacrificial piece of glass on the beam side of the port so it gets destroyed before the pressure boundary of your port. My new fusor uses a quarter inch thick pyrex blank which is held in place with a piece of aluminum foil rolled up such that it could be stuffed in the gap between the view port frame and the edge of the blank holding it in place. I poked some small holes into the rolled up aluminum foil along it's length so it wouldn't act as a slow virtual leak.

Return to “Fusor Construction & Operation (& FAQs)”