Very quick question on flanges

For posts specifically relating to fusor design, construction, and operation.
constantinbushofsky

Very quick question on flanges

Post by constantinbushofsky »

This might be a dumb question and I've looked around the forum and faqs but I may have missed this somewhere so please forgive me. Where can one source 8"od 6"id bored cf flanges? I know they're very common but I can't seem to find any used ones or otherwise not-rediculously-expensive (I've seen some sites selling them for upwards of $300 each for some reason). Again, apologies if this is a dumb question or if it's already been answered and if so, please direct me to the proper thread.

[edit] I found lots of flat blank flanges on eBay. How easy would it be to bore one to work for constructing a two-hemisphere chamber?
Last edited by constantinbushofsky on Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
dH - TdS = 0
Jerry Biehler

Re: Very quick question on flanges

Post by Jerry Biehler »

You dont buy used ones because they are usually welded to something. If it is a blank then you might find something on ebay.
Dennis P Brown

Post by Dennis P Brown »

To get stainless steel vacuum flanges of a specific size one must either pay the real price for new, or get lucky and happen to find what one needs on ebay; patience is the key if one is on a tight budget.

I have used aluminum plates, machined the required flange sizes, holes, threads and just used o-ring seals to get around welding - made both windows and high voltage feed thru's for a steel chamber in this manner. If one has access to such machines and can do that work it is a huge savings (I have never even used a ruler for the O-ring grove sizes/depths and they hold to 10^-6 torr. But experience helps.)
David Kunkle

Post by David Kunkle »

Can you handle $139 instead of $300?

http://www.ldsvacuumshopper.com/6tubeod.html

Bought lots of stuff from these guys- they're good to work with too. They usually have the best prices on new stuff when I can't find it used on ebay.
If your experiment needs statistics, you ought to have done a better experiment.

Ernest Rutherford
prestonbarrows

Post by prestonbarrows »

Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

That is a per flange price and a chamber needs two. So double those figures. When I bought my 8 inch flanges with 6 inch ID they were $95 each from Lesker. Considering inflation and the 17 year time lapse, the increase isn't all that bad. If you are serious about your fusor project, buy these new, if possible.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment

Return to “Fusor Construction & Operation (& FAQs)”