1/8" swagelok VCR face-seal fittings

For posts specifically relating to fusor design, construction, and operation.
Dave Xanatos

1/8" swagelok VCR face-seal fittings

Post by Dave Xanatos »

I'm finally at the stage of building my PEM cell Deuterium generator, and I have a nice 1.33 CF to 1/8" Swagelok VCR Face-Seal adapter which, I was thinking, would allow me to, among other things, use a Swagelok flow-reducer (they go down to 0.01mm), and a nice stainless tube running from that, to my micrometer-style valve.

But in researching a bit, it seems that the tubing needs to be WELDED to the various ends using a specialized welding system.

Am I seriously misinformed, or should I be looking for a more friendly system of deuterium delivery into my fusion chamber?

Alternately.... accepting donations of unwanted Swagelok welding systems :)

Thanks folks!

Dave
It would take decades of work, by thousands of scientists, in a particle accelerator powered by dump trucks of flaming grant money! - Professor Farnsworth/FUTURAMA
Hank Ball

Re: 1/8" swagelok VCR face-seal fittings

Post by Hank Ball »

In general, I think what you say about the tubing needing to be welded is true. But there are many adapters available to connect VCR fittings to each other or to other fitting types. Swagelok calls some of them "welded" fittings. For example to connect two 1/4" VCR male fittings, you can use an SS-4-WVCR-6-DF double female union that has been pre-welded. To connect the 1/8" (female?) VCR fitting on your CF flange to 1/8" tube, you could use a SS-2-VCR-6-200 VCR to Swagelok tube fitting. With a little research I bet you can find everything you need. However, after you see the prices for VCR adapters, you may decide to go with standard Swagelok fittings wherever possible. Also, 1/8" VCR is much less common than 1/4", especially in surplus channels, something else to consider.
Jerry Biehler

Re: 1/8" swagelok VCR face-seal fittings

Post by Jerry Biehler »

You can use generic swagelok compression fittings for most anything. They will withstand everything from hard vacuum to very high pressure, they just done have as good of a life for situations where you need to connect/disconnect a lot.

Ideally you weld the stainless like with an orbital welder, it is a specialized tig welder just for welding these kinds of likes and fittings. You can manually tig weld them too.

Return to “Fusor Construction & Operation (& FAQs)”