Stainless steel 304 shell cutting

For posts specifically relating to fusor design, construction, and operation.
Richard Hull

Re: Stainless steel 304 shell cutting

Post by Richard Hull »

Sorry Dan. I stopped selling them a few years back. The work was dated and so I stopped offering them.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Dan Faust

Post by Dan Faust »

Thanks though,
I will look for tutorials online for the TIG
I found that harbor Freight has incredible deals relating to some welding and drilling accessories but I think I might go to a local welding shop to get some of the work done there
My parents don't own any welding equipment and it will get very expensive if I purchase the welding and drilling equipment along with the vacuum, variable transformer, and other things
I'm committed but it will take a while because I do not have an income that is sufficient
$30 a week won't cut it
Dumpster diving next!
Live long and prosper-Vulcans (Star trek)
Not knowing our end should never discourage us from achieving more
Rich Feldman

Post by Rich Feldman »

>> I have noticed that must fusioneers suggest a lower rpm.
>> Is this because of chipping or over heating the drill?
>> I know some of drill presses are built for very high duty work but stainless steel is one tough cookie when it comes to cutting.

The answer isn't simple. As Richard H cautioned, efficient cutting of tough metals depends on the tooth speed and feed rate or pressure being appropriate -- not too fast or too slow, too aggressive or too timid. The tradeoffs between tool cost & tool lifetime, surface finish, time per part, spindle horsepower, etc. have evolved for centuries. Millions of machinists have learned to recognize when something is working properly and when it's not. Revolutions do happen, on rare occasions as well as per minute.

I think you would learn a lot by studying this chart and its list of DO's and DONT's.
http://www.fairburyfastener.com/holesaw_speed_chart.htm
One of many found in seconds using this thing called the Internet.
hss.JPG
All models are wrong; some models are useful. -- George Box
Jerry Biehler

Post by Jerry Biehler »

Cutting materials have recommended surface speeds that they perform best at. High speed steel is a lot lower than carbide so you need to go much slower or you will burn up the tips. With the carbide cutters you can usually max out the speed of a standard 1/2" drill without worrying about killing the tips from that. What can kill the tips on those is jamming.

Stainless is not too big of a deal, you just need to make sure you are always cutting, if you allow the cutter to rub the metal and not cut the stainless will work harden and then you are in trouble. Not so bad to deal with if carbide but high speed steel or carbon steel cutter will be dulled instantly.

Tig is pretty easy especially with the inverter welders. I used to teach it. Also used to work at Airgas repairing welding and plasma equipment. Vacuum welds are pretty simple, they are single pass fusion welds. You can tack on the outside to hold in place while welding. If you are doing welds where you are welding thin metals like tubing to heavy stuff like flanges it gets a bit more complicated since you need to concentrate the heat on the heavy section.
Dan Faust

Post by Dan Faust »

Awesome everyone
slower rpm along with patience and a little bit of drilling knowledge
I consider this thread closed
Unless that's improbable because Administrators don't have time to close forums
Or maybe....
Live long and prosper-Vulcans (Star trek)
Not knowing our end should never discourage us from achieving more

Return to “Fusor Construction & Operation (& FAQs)”