Valid Budget?

For posts specifically relating to fusor design, construction, and operation.
Psalia

Valid Budget?

Post by Psalia »

I have recently been endeavoring to find how others go about constructing their fusors, what parts they deem necessary which they simply ignore. Anyway recently i have found the budgets of various fusioneers and one in particular that i can not find the source of (as in i dont know whos it is) and thus cant determine which of these items were used and which were not. furthermore i would like to know what you guys think of this budget; it seems to have been made without concern for prices.
Attachments
unknown budget.xlsx
(12.61 KiB) Downloaded 439 times
Tom McCarthy

Re: Valid Budget?

Post by Tom McCarthy »

Saila,

You might benefit from taking a look in the Trading Post, and also searching the individual parts' names. Usually you can find an example of what someone else payed for them. Also, it can be quite helpful to have a look on eBay and check out the current going prices for items. At the moment, your Deuterium and foreline trap pricing would seem a bit unrealistic for me - The deuterium will probably be more expensive > $225 (Sigma Aldrich quotes $225 for a 10L bottle) unless you're going the electrolysis route. $800 for a foreline trap is far more expensive than normal. You can usual acquire one for $100 on eBay with some patience.

A final point is that the budget is a good initial guide on how much things are going to cost. It'll probably be quite unrepresentative of your final costs though. Simply, you don't figure out you need certain parts until you have everything else around it and sometimes you just have to spend more than you planned on an item - others you might get lucky and find a bargain/freebie.

Tom
Last edited by Tom McCarthy on Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Richard Hull

Re: Valid Budget?

Post by Richard Hull »

As I have stated many times, there is no such thing as a budget for a fusor; never was, never will be. The final cost of the fusor is 80% individual builder dependent and 20% dependent on pure good fortune; all for the good reasons I have given in past postings on this issue.

Richard
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment

Return to “Fusor Construction & Operation (& FAQs)”