Is a 2.75 in 6 way cross enough volume for fusion?

For posts specifically relating to fusor design, construction, and operation.
Raice Oberwiler

Is a 2.75 in 6 way cross enough volume for fusion?

Post by Raice Oberwiler »

I have read a lot of conflicting posts around the site on whether a 2.75 in cross can be used as the main chamber and I wanted to know, being that I currently have a 2.75 in 6 way cross, whether or not it would contain a large enough volume to produce detectable fusion. Thanks.
Jake Wells

Re: Is a 2.75 in 6 way cross enough volume for fusion?

Post by Jake Wells »

Yes. Many fusors on this forum have been built using a 4 way cross. A 6 way cross will do just fine.
“The day science begins to study non-physical phenomena, it will make more progress in one decade than in all the previous centuries of its existence.”
― Nikola Tesla
Richard Hull

Re: Is a 2.75 in 6 way cross enough volume for fusion?

Post by Richard Hull »

It will be tough in such a small cross. No one has had any real fusion numbers come out of a small cross. Most folks who have attempted it in a 2.75 failed to make the grade.

There are many issues in a tiny chamber that have been enumerated in many past posts.

As for 6 way vs. 4 way.....With a 6 way you just have more opportunity for leaks that might need to be sealed.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment

Return to “Fusor Construction & Operation (& FAQs)”