Making a stand

For posts specifically relating to fusor design, construction, and operation.
Sarvesh Sadana

Making a stand

Post by Sarvesh Sadana »

Currently, I have my fusor perched somewhat precariously on the edge of a shelf, with the diffusion pump hanging off to the side. I am not concerned that it will break per se—it is well under the maximum weight of the shelf—but it looks highly unprofessional, and is quite annoying to deal with. Additionally, I am afraid that, when the fusor is turned on, it may melt the material of the shelf.

I was thinking of using a few metal poles to keep it level with the ground, but since it is lying sideways, it doesn't seem feasible logistically.

How did you construct your stand, and do you have any suggestions?
IMG_0246.PNG
(I have since added more support under the shelf)
Richard Hull

Re: Making a stand

Post by Richard Hull »

In the attached image, this is how I mounted fusor IV back in 2004. Extremely cheap and easy. It is still in use to this day. I used common, inexpensive, 3/4-inch solid aluminum rod and drilled and tapped each end for the common SAE 5/16 bolts I used on the fusor. Likewise, I used 5/16 bolts to secured the rods to the 5/8-inch thick plywood shelf.

Click on image to enlarge.

Richard Hull
Attachments
IV const 04 (28).JPG
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Daniel Firth

Re: Making a stand

Post by Daniel Firth »

My fusor halves are held together by many bolts. I replaced 4 of them with ones that are a bit longer, and use 9 inch long, internally-threaded rods to make 4 legs. The 4 long bolts still use a nut like the rest, then I thread the rods on by hand; they are not very tight against the nut.

There are 4 holes drilled through the tray of the red cart, to allow bolts to thread into the bottom of the rods. You can see that I also use thick, large washers where the rods meet the tray, because the cart metal is thin (it's a cheap harbor Freight item).

The rods are McMaster-Carr item # 6516K8.
Attachments
fusor rods.JPG

Return to “Fusor Construction & Operation (& FAQs)”