First Demo Fusor Test

For posts specifically relating to fusor design, construction, and operation.
Bell Chen

First Demo Fusor Test

Post by Bell Chen »

Hello everyone, it's my first time to post a new topic in this forum.
My name is Bell Chen (the name on id card is Beier Chen). And I am from Chengdu, China and i am a grade-11 student in Chengdu No.7 High School.
I'm very surprised when i first visited this site, there're many many people who are crazy about fusion and how much useful information i can get here.

On Oct 3, 2016, I tested my first demo fusor in our science association. The full construction was completed by students attended to this activity and i am the main designer and leader in this test. And the full activities are shown in our association's website (https://hyper-matrix.org, in Chinese).
I have posted an video on youtube which introduces basic knowledge about fusion and fusor in Chinese. The full video shows most of the discharge phenomena and the current readings. So it can give a few references. I'm sorry that i have not complete the English version. I will update later.

Here's the link: https://youtu.be/ujychujhmj8

Unfortuanately, we set the chamber in front of white wall, so it's not obvious to analyze the plasma. But i have captured a moment that my black shorts covered the white wall when it was like in 'Star Mode' ( i am not sure). The screenshot shows in attachments.
We also missed much equipment in our first test, like neutron detector, diffusion pump, high-voltmeter and so on.
Plasma 1
Plasma 1
Plasma 2
Plasma 2
Refered the design on MAKE magazine and from other professional fusor test, i divided the whole fusor to 4 parts, main discharge chamber, electric power supply, vaccum devices and fuel devices. Due to funds problem and environment, we missed many devices in design, so it looks like a raw demo fusor. And my friend, Peng Bo, was responsible to design and build the making-deuterium and gas purification devices.

We used a 350W ZVS, Step-up transformer, DC power supply and a high-voltage full-bridge rectifier as the power supply which serially conneted an ammeter which showed readings in mA in the video. It showed approximately 41 mA when discharging. After test, the transformer was overheat, nearly burned up.

The vaccum device was a 2-level Rotary Vane Vacuum Pump which was capable to get approximately 0.2 Pa (0.005 torr) and we used new deep vaccum oil in this test. It connected to main chamber with a valve. We made mistake in this test that pump did not work enough time to get the limit vaccum when i turned on the power.

The main chamber was made of PMMA in the middle and customized aluminium sheet on both top and bottom side. The inner electrode was made by stainless steel. After 5 minutes test, the stainless steel went grey and coarse. And the whole device was fixed by four steel strips. We used rubber rings and deep vaccum sealant to assure the gas-tightness.

Fuel deviced was designed by Peng Bo. He decided to prepare the gas by the reaction 2Al+2NaOD+2D2O=2NaAlO2+3D2↑ and made NaOD by the reaction Na2O2+2D2O ==== 2NaOD + D2O2 and heated the solution to eliminate the Oxygen. We conneted a dehydration device between tube and vaccum chamber. The original method is to make deuterium by 2Al + 6D2O =Ga= 2Al(OD)3 + 3D2 and use oil displacement method to eliminate the air. Due to funds, we didn't have enough gallium to dissolve aluminium. So finally we used first tentative plan and the quality of deuterium was lower inevitably.

I had some questions:
What is the relationship between vaccum rate and the voltage when using magnetic leakage transformer?
How to improve this device to approach the real fusion?
Do I need to change another power supply like X-ray transformer or parallel more ZVS devices to increase the power?
Is it practicable to use full-bridge rectifier connected to ZVS to stablize the current?
Overview (except vaccum pump and fuel devices)
Overview (except vaccum pump and fuel devices)
Overview 2 (except vaccum pump)
Overview 2 (except vaccum pump)
Richard Hull

Re: First Demo Fusor Test

Post by Richard Hull »

You will need to read the FAQs on power supplies for fusion. The ZVS supply has been discussed at length here and is totally unsuitable for fusion and is even very weak for a demo fusor.

Again read all the FAQs related to vacuum, power supplies, and what is needed to actually do fusion.

You will never do fusion in the chamber you show in the images. Fusion is achieved only in metallic chambers.

The reason we have multiple forums with their associated multiple FAQ sections at the top of each forum is due to the many specific issues needed to be conquered to do real fusion.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Bell Chen

Post by Bell Chen »

Richard Hull wrote:You will need to read the FAQs on power supplies for fusion. The ZVS supply has been discussed at length here and is totally unsuitable for fusion and is even very weak for a demo fusor.

Again read all the FAQs related to vacuum, power supplies, and what is needed to actually do fusion.

You will never do fusion in the chamber you show in the images. Fusion is achieved only in metallic chambers.

The reason we have multiple forums with their associated multiple FAQ sections at the top of each forum is due to the many specific issues needed to be conquered to do real fusion.

Richard Hull
Thanks for your suggestions. I will carefully read the FAQs and redesign the devices.
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Long look back through image du jour forum will show you what type of fusor chamber is successful.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment

Return to “Fusor Construction & Operation (& FAQs)”