How does my fusor design look? About to order final flanges

For posts specifically relating to fusor design, construction, and operation.
Bijan Moradi

How does my fusor design look? About to order final flanges

Post by Bijan Moradi »

Hey there,

How does my fusor design look? The big flanges are 2inch tube diameter and the small ones are 1inch td. Shell is the 6 inch stainless steel hemispheres with the 8 inch od flanges.

Just want to make sure theres no terrible errors before I make it.
Attachments
reactor.PNG
Dennis P Brown

Re: How does my fusor design look? About to order final flan

Post by Dennis P Brown »

As long as a flange will match your diffusion/gate valve or turbo pump then the 2 inch limit should be ok. As for number of flanges - that depends on your choice of gauges and electrical feed thru's and if you plan on using one or more ion guns; a min number is a port for vacuum (maybe two if you desire roughing), a micron gauge and high vac gauge ports, and of course, a high voltage feed thru port; a port for a window is critical as well.
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

The drawings look real pretty..........

I have dealt with this manner of assembly and construction in a FAQ. Find it!

One key factor is.......Can a bolt of the proper length needed on the large belly belt, (8-inch), flanges be easily installed without going afoul of one of your hemispherical port flanges or their tubes???

Don't get that puppy all welded up, only to find you can't put in two or three bolts at different locations. This is particularly bad if you have one of the big flanges pre-threaded where the bolts are forced to be installed from one directionly only! Don't wind up cryin' in yer beer when that finished product shows up all shiney and pretty.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Tom McCarthy

Post by Tom McCarthy »

Yea, Richard's advice is good. Make sure the necks on your ports - how far they project out from the chamber - are plenty long..

Otherwise you end up with bolts that will drive you to tears trying to reach and some that you just can't tighten at all.

Tom
Andrew Seltzman

Post by Andrew Seltzman »

One way to ensure you can load all bolts is to use rotatably flanges to connect the hemispheres. For the other ports, 3" length is pretty standard for 2.75 CF half nipples, and if placed at 45 degrees off the axis, shouldn't interfere with the tightening.
Andrew Seltzman
www.rtftechnologies.org
Bijan Moradi

Post by Bijan Moradi »

Will do. I did read that faq. Which is why the D inlet I'd where it is. Your FAQs are awesome! Very informative. I'll check the flange bolts when I get back to the lab. I think they fit but I haven't checked yet.

Don't worry. Both flange holes are clear bore.
Last edited by Bijan Moradi on Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Futter

Post by John Futter »

Brijan
Pleas stop repeating what others have posted idoes not add anything useful except make threads harder to follow due to increased
surperfluous repeating of what has already been saide
Bijan Moradi

Post by Bijan Moradi »

Sorry John. I had no idea you were referring to me quoting other members. I just thought you were telling me not to ask questions. I have edited previous posts and removed the quotes.

Return to “Fusor Construction & Operation (& FAQs)”