Question on Network Cable

For posts specifically relating to fusor design, construction, and operation.
Steven_Udotong

Question on Network Cable

Post by Steven_Udotong »

Hello,

I have been unable to find a network cable to 7 pin (BNC?) adapter for the Edwards 503 Controller

A 4-7/16" diameter adapter for the gate valve, with 8 holes for bolts

A connector to attach the copper braided wire to the HV power supply. I think its something like this but I'm not sure: https://sc02.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1wepwIpXX ... XFXXXJ.jpg

One gate valve adapter should be able to connect to vacuum chamber's 2.75" ports, and another should connect to the diffusion pump through an adapter (NW40) like this:http://www.ldsvacuumshopper.com/nw40to275cf.html

Best,
Steven
Richard Hull

Re: Question on Network Cable

Post by Richard Hull »

Manufactureres of gate valves often deliberately make oddball flanges for which they make custom adapters. These same manufacturers come and go, (out of business). This leaves a vast unadapatable group of diffusion pumps and gate valves out there on the surplus market. The solution is that an adapter must be custom machined to adapt industry standard vacuum flanges to the oddballs.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
John Myers

Post by John Myers »

That 7pin socket is called a DIN connector.
Jerry Biehler

Post by Jerry Biehler »

Got a pic of the 7 pin end of the cable?

Actually, pics of all of it would help.
Christian Menzel

Post by Christian Menzel »

Hello Steven, look here for your networking cable. I'm not sure but may you can find there which is you looking for.
ian_krase

Post by ian_krase »

Do you mean the Edwards 503 gauge controller like this:https://www.ebay.com/itm/EDWARDS-503-CO ... SwfjRZ6JGg

It's indeed either a DIN or a Mini DIN.

Besides DIN, other common circular connectors are milspec connectors (sometimes called AN (army-navy) connectors, there are several different kinds), Mobile Connectors (have a small number of large round pins, mostly used in 4-pin form to connect mics to CB and HAM radios), and M12 connectors (most commonly appearing in 5-in form for Devicenet connections).

Milspec connectors are used by some turbo pumps and by MDC Vaccuum multi-pin feedthroughs.

That ring terminal is sort of what you need for connecting HV to a stud -- except that its sharp edges might lead to a mess of corona. A better option might be some kind of specially machined brass ball with a tapped hole in it. I am not sure. IN any case, ring terminals can easily be bought at the hardware store, and crimped with a crimper you can buy there.

What kind of 4 7/16 flange are we talking about? A standard Conflat has diameter 4.5 inches and 8 holes. Alternatively, some flanges of this sort are standardized but most are not.

Return to “Fusor Construction & Operation (& FAQs)”