Vacuum Pressure controller (Edwards) or cheaper pressure controller

For posts specifically relating to fusor design, construction, and operation.
Steven_Udotong

Vacuum Pressure controller (Edwards) or cheaper pressure controller

Post by Steven_Udotong »

Does anyone have an Edwards Vacuum Pressure controller that they'd be willing to sell cheap?

The one below is the one that was recommended to pair with the gauge; I've gone over my budget and the cheapest I can find one for is $460. I also don't like this option with 4 week turnaround time.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-BOC-Edward ... SwL5pZfYT6

Apparently, I've been told analog pressure controllers are no longer being sold or produced?

Alternatively, anyone knows of a cheaper way to sense the pressure?

Here's a picture of my setup so far
https://drive.google.com/open?id=10y4ef ... UzZtsRbN5A
ian_krase

Re: Vacuum Pressure controller (Edwards) or cheaper pressure controller

Post by ian_krase »

Just find a used Mini-Convectron with a display.
Dennis P Brown

Post by Dennis P Brown »

The type of gauge one needs is dictated by what pressure range one has to be able to measure. If you just want to run a fusor, an inexpensive thermo-couple or Pirani gauge and reader are fine - very good resolution from 1 - 20 microns and adequate resolution from 20 - 50 microns and acceptable readings up to 100 microns. These, used, are on ebay and can be obtained in good deals around $100. Some are better than others but most will work fine with a fusor's pressure range requirements (the key for fusors are 1 - 15 microns with about 1 micron resolution.)
John Futter

Post by John Futter »

Steven
Please place photos inline on this site
when you link external image stores when they cease this thread loses all its relevance
for photos 1024 x 768 pixels is perfect use something like irfanview to resize resample your photos to minimise file space on the srver
Peter Schmelcher

Post by Peter Schmelcher »

I would recommend a full pressure range inverted magnetron like an MPG401. This gauge is re branded and sold by several vacuum outfits, I do not know who the original manufacturer is, no markings on the internal circuit boards provide a hint. I got my Inficon MPG401 some time ago for $100 and it was sold as fully functional from a seller who was asking $350 or best offer. The pressure output is an analog 0 to 10V log signal. You will need to rewire an RJ45 plug to connect power and measure the output signal. So, a free harbor freight multimeter and an AC adapter and you are in business provided the used gauge works. I have kissed my share of surplus frogs so expect the worst and cross your fingers. The big bonus is that with a can of dust off you can find vacuum leaks.

Peter

Return to “Fusor Construction & Operation (& FAQs)”