A Bunch of Failures

For posts specifically relating to fusor design, construction, and operation.
Jackson Oswalt

Re: A Bunch of Failures

Post by Jackson Oswalt » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:30 pm

I managed to rig up an adapter. Unfortunately, it takes the inlet down to a 1/4" at one point, so I still plan to replace it do to how much that will bottleneck the pump. The second problem is the oil. The people who sold me the pump weren't quite the brightest and decided to leave the oil in the pump while shipping it despite what I told them. As you would expect, the box arrived on my porch covered in oil. As far as I can tell, all the oil drained out. Would it be okay to use some of my Robinair pump oil with the Edwards pump? It's fresh, but it might not be compatible. As far as it's "type" (such as hydrocarbon), it doesn't say. Here's the link to it: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000X ... UTF8&psc=1.
Thanks!

-JO
The Youngest Fusioneer At 12 Years Old

John Futter

Post by John Futter » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:52 pm

you can get the right ultra grade 19 oil here
http://www.pchemlabs.com/product.asp?pid=1438

Jackson Oswalt

Post by Jackson Oswalt » Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:32 am

Not long ago I ran the pump for about 3 minutes and got down to 500 microns (that's with little oil and npt threads). I was shocked at how quiet it is and the pressure it reached quickly. Definitely an upgrade from my HVAC pump.

Dennis P Brown

Post by Dennis P Brown » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:39 am

While 500 microns is terrible for a good pump, that it had little oil can explain that figure but also, an excellent way to destroy the pump. Always fill the pump to the correct level before operation.

Jackson Oswalt

Post by Jackson Oswalt » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:25 pm

I understand this, but I won't have any proper oil for it for at least another 10 days. I need to get some tests done, so I asked if I could use the robin air oil. I understand it's not the official oil, but it would only be temporary. Does anybody know for a fact it would be acceptable to use the robin air oil? Thanks!

Richard Hull
Site Admin

Post by Richard Hull » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:41 pm

Direct drive oil is direct drive oil and as long as your Robinair oil is fresh from the jug it will suffice until your 19 oil arrives. Try it and see what pressure you hit at the inlet of the pump.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
Retired now...Doing only what I want and not what I should...every day is a saturday.

ian_krase

Post by ian_krase » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:12 am

There is one difference: Pfeiffer pumps use moderately higher viscosity oil. I doubt it matters.

Bruce Meagher

Post by Bruce Meagher » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:37 am

I’d worry more about the vapor pressure of the cheap oil and the implications of using it in your newly purchased pump.

Dennis P Brown

Post by Dennis P Brown » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:16 am

As long as you are prepared to properly clean out the pump - remember, that is no simple task to really remove the wrong oil if its vapor pressure may be a future issue - then fine. The oil will provide the pump lubrication to enable you top test its operation. However, might be easier in the long run to just wait and use the proper oil; certainly less work.

Richard Hull
Site Admin

Post by Richard Hull » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:12 pm

It will pump or it will not pump regardless of oil. This is not a new pump. Remember it was bought from a guy who shipped it with oil in it. Not a real vacuum head who owned it last. No good vacuum head ships a pump full of oil.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
Retired now...Doing only what I want and not what I should...every day is a saturday.