Testing A Regulator

For posts specifically relating to fusor design, construction, and operation.
Tom McCarthy

Testing A Regulator

Post by Tom McCarthy »

Hi all,

I have an old (not sure how old) hydrogen/methane regulator, Victor 452-350 regulator. I bought it 3 years ago from eBay and am about ready to make use of it.

However, I've never tested it or confirmed that it's working. I would prefer to know that it's functional before letting deuterium through it.

I don't need to have something perfectly calibrated. I want to be confident that if I turn the knob to a low setting, D2 will be admitted to the gas line at a correspondingly low pressure, without leaks or other problems. Further, I'd also like to know that the reading of the lecture bottle pressure on the regulator is approximately correct.

I saw on one of Andrew Seltzman's old threads that he tested a regulator by hooking it up to an Argon cylinder. Is there a standard practise for testing a regulator?

Tom
Andrew Seltzman

Re: Testing A Regulator

Post by Andrew Seltzman »

It can't hurt to test with argon if you have it. Argon is cheaper and non-flammable.

As far as calibration, I would trust the pressure gauges on the regulator as long as they're not physically damaged.
Andrew Seltzman
www.rtftechnologies.org
Tom McCarthy

Post by Tom McCarthy »

Sure thing, thanks. Will find a cylinder locally and try it out.
Jerry Biehler

Post by Jerry Biehler »

It's not going to mate to the argon tank. You will have to find an adapter of some sort.

Put it on the tank and unscrew the pressure adjust until there is no spring pressure against it. Open the valve on the tank and make sure there is no flow out of the regulator. If there is stop there and get it rebuilt.

Screw in the knob, you should start getting flow out. Unscrew until it stops. Put a plug on the outlet and screw the adjuster back in, pressure on the gauge will rise while screwing it in. If it keeps rising without screwing than stop and have the regulator rebuilt. Pressure will not decrease as you unscrew, these regulators are non-relieving.

Return to “Fusor Construction & Operation (& FAQs)”