What vacuum chamber do I use?

For posts specifically relating to fusor design, construction, and operation.
Jonathan Davis

What vacuum chamber do I use?

Post by Jonathan Davis »

Many people recommend using two steel hemispheres joined together such as this: Image
But other people who've built fusors suggest an acrylic tube.
I am unable to find sufficient documentation to work out what to purchase.
If anyone knows please help!
Richard Hull

Re: What vacuum chamber do I use?

Post by Richard Hull »

No plastics ever! Period. No glass ever.....If you want to do fusion.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Jonathan Davis

Post by Jonathan Davis »

Cool. I can do that... probably.
I've attached a couple of scans detailing the design of a fusor. My design will probably differ due to parts availability, but this is the theory.. :D
I'll keep you up to date with my progress anyway....
Sorry the quality is 0, I took it with an app on my phone :)
BTW I will be documenting everything on my channel here: www.youtube.com/nitrojonscience/

Thx
Jonathan
So glad I discovered this place! :)
ian_krase

Post by ian_krase »

An alternative to the hemispheres is a smaller (2 to 4 inches) "pipe tee" fusor.
Jonathan Davis

Post by Jonathan Davis »

Do you have any pictures, and are there any extra benefits to using 'pipe-tee' systems? (Cost, safety, efficiency)
Thanks!
Jonathan :)
Jonathan Davis

Post by Jonathan Davis »

Oh, and are aluminium chambers an option (I don't know how to weld and am not looking forwards to dealing with industrial stainless steel!)
-Jonathan :)
Dennis P Brown

Post by Dennis P Brown »

The major advantage with a four way cross is that for a given voltage (as little as 25 kV and around 20 ma) one can obtain an easy to detect neutron signal. These small "chambers" work at significantly higher pressure, and are very easy to assemble. Having the four "ports" allows all essential connections to be installed (view port, vacuum pump down, gas inlet and high voltage connection.) As for cost, finding these on ebay as good deals isn't to difficult and compared to a custom chamber, about as inexpensive a route as possible. The ID for the cross was a std 2.75" if memory serves.

There have been at least two people entering the fusor neutron club who used this methodology.

Do search these results (occurred in the last two years) and read their approaches and results.
Jonathan Davis

Post by Jonathan Davis »

So no welding? :)
Dennis P Brown

Post by Dennis P Brown »

For a four-way cross, really no need for welding. Drilling, maybe. But simple KF fittings for the covers and using covers that have pre-made window/connectors make the job rather easy. The issue is finding the right pieces at the right price on ebay - patience is the key.
Jonathan Davis

Post by Jonathan Davis »

Do you know a place where I can get a cross? I have a potential 2000 dollar AUD budget but I think most of it will be used on the pumps or the deuterium. Do you have any pictures?
Anton Kristensen

Post by Anton Kristensen »

Jonathan, me and my advisor are currently looking here https://mdcvacuum.com/DisplayProductCon ... atid=m.1.6.
By pressing the button with "lead time" you can see specific chambers.
Chris Giles

Post by Chris Giles »

Apart from the cost to buy and run, has anyone got any views on the pros & cons of the different sized crosses, i.e. 2.75", 4.5", 6"? I have a Turbo with 6" CF flange and am yet to collect the high vacuum fittings and valve. I am intending to get a 4-way cross in one of these sizes for ease of construction. I appreciate I could use KF fittings instead which seem to be more common at least in smaller sizes.

Do I gather it is easier to control the behaviour of the plasma in a larger vessel? Perhaps easier to view it as well? I'm wondering if i'm best to spend the extra on 4.5 or 6"...

Best regards
Chris.

p.s. I don't have welding equipment. I only solder small stuff :)
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Much depends on what you want to do...........

1. I just want to do fusion to show I can do it, then be inducted into the neutron club, and then have a keg party and go on to the next "thing".
2. I want to do fusion to a really respectable level, (mega mark) to rival the best ever, and then have a keg party and go on to the next "thing".
3.I want to do fusion to a level where I can use the device for experiments in activation and perhaps try different forms of the fusor to possibly improve it or show a better way of doing fusion at the amateur level. Once I feel I have exhausted its possibilities, I will then have a keg party and go on to the next "thing" based on all I have learned and apply them as needed in later life.

#3 is the most laudable.....I suggest a formal, decent investment with a 6-inch minimum system, be it a Cross, Tee, Sphere or Cylinder. 35kv supply minimum with a 40kv + being better, long term.
#2 at least has a specific goal in a higher achievement......I suggest a minimum 4.5 inch Cross, Sphere or Cylinder. 25kv or better supply as a minimum, 30kv or more would make it easier to accomplish.
#1 is just doin' it and nothing more than ego. Most any suitable vessel and gear needed to "git 'er done"......It has been done with 2.75-inch Cross.

What's your idea of a stopping point in this effort? Where do you wish to position yourself in the effort?

99.4% of those arriving here claim they want to do #1............Of those, only 5% make it to #1......Maybe 5% of those who make #1, ever get to #2.... and about 1% of those who make it to #2 tend to go on to make a stab at #3.

Of those making #1, #2 or #3, 99.99% will just go away and are never be heard from again. The best of them, however, do leave with a real idea of just how tough it is to do the "easy fusion" to critical review and will not be fooled by future hype on power ready fusion.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
Chris Giles

Post by Chris Giles »

Hi Richard,

thanks very much for the advice which I'm sure others will find useful too. You have made it very clear what we can achieve with the different sized vessels. I'd like my system to be at least capable of level 2 and I will remain ambitious. However, which stage I actually reach is hard to predict there are many challenges ahead! I just have one further question if I may:

I now have a good 30kv 20mA 600W-rated PSU. Is the 30kV PSU inadequate to comfortably achieve fusion in a 6" vessel regardless of whether I try to reach stage 1, 2, 3 or rather is the 30kV PSU inadequate for level 3 regardless of the vessel?

If the latter, i will select 4.5" or 6" depending upon the availability and cost but preferring the 6" if possible.

Best regards
Chris
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

30kv is the turnaround point in amateur fusion. If the supply can give the current, easily measured fusion in the 500K + N/s range is possible once a good system is operated by an experienced hand. At 40kv the mega mark is easily attained.

So many things must come together well, from construction to operational skill to hit the mega mark. This goal tends to lie between 30-40kv.

Richard Hull
Chris Giles

Post by Chris Giles »

Thanks Richard.

I will consider the 30kV, 20mA supply that I have as good for the foreseeable future and I'll look for 4.5" or larger vessel. I have a long way to go...

Regards
Chris
Dennis P Brown

Post by Dennis P Brown »

I would suggest that you consider a smaller chamber with that power supply. A few people have gotten high neutron fluxes with 2.75 inch "cross" chambers. I had a 30 kV and 40 ma supply, and I did manage around 100 k neutrons/sec in a 20 inch semi-hemisphere chamber.

However, in one successful effort they had achieved a few hundred thousand neutrons using 20 kV, at 10 ma supply in a small cross. Just a thought to consider.

I created a smaller equivalent chamber (using an insert) and significantly increased my neutron count. Smaller is better relative to a fusor. The higher operating pressure required for the same current/voltage matters a great deal. The chamber has more (in my case, twice) the deuterium. It has been suggest that the corners in a "T" or 4-way cross also improve the performance.
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

One thing we have not seen, nor has any reporting come forth on the 2.75 cross work, is a "stress limit" test situation. So very much depends on the insulation to get the HV in without arcing in such a confined space. Construction limits and issues are unknown. Heating and survival of the grid at fusion currents and voltages, (energy), needed to approach fusion levels common to fusor larger than 4 inches have not been reported.

While great work and a whole new avenue has opened for fusion on the "cheapish", a number of unknowns abound, especially in how far can these small systems be pushed compared to a 6" or larger system of good design.

Richard Hull
Chris Giles

Post by Chris Giles »

Thank you Dennis and Richard.

In the small vessel, the electric field must be a lot higher for the same cathode voltage, perhaps making fusion easier to achieve but harder to control?

I think I get the tradeoffs:

Pros for Smaller ( < 4.5"):
- easier to achieve high neutron count in small vessel (perhaps due to higher potential gradient?)
- less D2 needed in small vessel / easier to achieve higher gas pressure
- smaller components are typically cheaper and more common

Cons for Smaller:
- at 2.75" it is very constrained, plasma is more likely to breakdown & arc

Maybe 4.5" is a good compromise for my setup. I can see a nice 6" Lesker and 2.75" MDC cross on eBay at present. Prices not too different. I'll let them pass for now and see if 4.5" appears, or if we see more experimental results from other fusioneers. I have plenty to do in the meantime...

Best regards
Chris
Brandon_Cruz

Post by Brandon_Cruz »

Any updates on this project?
Chris Giles

Post by Chris Giles »

Hi Brandon,

on mine, I have recently got a 4.5" CF cross. From the above discussion it seemed like a good compromise. Now I am on the lookout for further HV parts to piece it all together. The conflat parts certainly are expensive and/or rare with the 4.5" and larger a lot more so than 2.75".

My next crucial part is the high vacuum valve, then i will know which size flanges i have to connect together. I have a turbo pump with 6" CF. Most likely seems I will need reducing flanges to go from DN100CF to DN40KF for the valve and back to DN63CF. I havent been able to test the turbo pump yet because I dont have the reducing flanges...

Now i know what size flange i have on the chamber I need to get the feedthrough and viewport. I'm getting there but very slowly...

Regards
Chris

Return to “Fusor Construction & Operation (& FAQs)”