Hamfest weekend

For posts specifically relating to fusor design, construction, and operation.

Hamfest weekend

Post by guest »

Another great weekend of hamfesting in Frederick, MD! I stayed over with my physicist friend who works at NRL in Laurel this weekend and attended the Hamfest in Frederick.

I picked up a nice Harshaw 4" Sodium Iodide scintillator with PMT and preamp all in one housing for $30.00. This will really expand the capabilities of my X-ray spectrometer/Canberra MCA.

I also obtained a nuclear pulse generator by Tennelec. (another old Oak Ridge based nuclear measurement firm) The value of this is that you can observe the effects of amps and other nuclear processing electronics based on a regular pulse. (good for old scopes) It would be impossible to look for the results of a neutron detector pulse filtering through processing electronics if they only came along twice per minute without a storage scope. This baby can be set for impedance, pulse height and duty cycle. Price $10.00 (no one knew what it did) The seller noted that it was fixed frequency and pretty worthless as a signal generator. (poor guy)

Lotsa' other goodies too numerous to mention.

Get out there and hamfest!! I know some of you already are at it and getting neat stuff, too.

Richard Hull

Return to “Fusor Construction & Operation (& FAQs)”