Welder Type?

For posts specifically relating to fusor design, construction, and operation.
segal3

Welder Type?

Post by segal3 »

I'm looking to add to my (currently) small shop, with the addition of a welder. If I was (along with other things) going to attempt an amateur fusion project, would I be better suited with a MIG welder (as compared to gas) (within a price range of $500-600)? Are there any suggestions as to "the one" to get? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

~Matt Segal
Richard Hull

Re: Welder Type?

Post by Richard Hull »

MIG is OK for stainless provided you get real good at it and are prepared to do a bit of grinding, but TIG is the only one for me. Some very few TIG units have dipped under a kilobuck, but the better ones like the Lincoln models are found on special sale at around $1200.00 not including gas.

MIG welding uses a feeding wire and in all but expert hands leaves a beaded up and balled up weld.

TIG flows like butter and doesn't rely on external filler metal.

I have all three forms of modern welding, GAS, MIG, TIG and don't know how I got along on just one or the other over the years.

I now use TIG almost exclusively on SS and aluminum. I use GAS second most often. Mainly, it is valuable for brazing, and silver soldering. My poor MIG unit is relegated to common steel welding (mostly repair)and is, therefore rarely used.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment

Return to “Fusor Construction & Operation (& FAQs)”