>>>>>> great demo fusor <<<<<<<<<

For posts specifically relating to fusor design, construction, and operation.

>>>>>> great demo fusor <<<<<<<<<

Post by guest »

Check out the demo fusor by Gerado Meiro and Alex Garcia in Please Introduce Yourselves.
It is a stunner.
All homemade and works well.
They even homebuilt their diffusion pump.
Cudos to our Spanish counterparts.....salute!

Larry Leins
Physics Teacher
Richard Hull

Re: >>>>>> great demo fusor <<<<<<<<<

Post by Richard Hull »

Very nice demo unit and what an interesting and never seen central grid design. A real interesitng and significant contribution from a couple of newbies. Th' wheels are turning in a lot of brains now, I bet!

I would get a perfectly round balloon or rubber ball of the proper size, blow it up, helically wind the thing, (a bit finer that their grid), pop the ballon or set fire to the ball, pull out the residue and then reinforce the whole thing against heat collapse with a single diameter belly band of grid wire tack welded or soldered to every turn in the helix.

I like it.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment
cassius

Post by cassius »

Wonderful design! I love it. I especially like the fact that they don't have to do any welding on the inner grid! (As near as I can tell from the pic)

Definitely something to consider for us amateurs!
Richard Hull

Post by Richard Hull »

Watch out! I could see the weak point and noted it.

In a demo or real fusor this grid needs a longitudinal band or some such thing welded in place!

The entire mass of the grid is held aloft by the bottom most turn, remember. At white heat the hole mass would sink or tip over in a useless pile. We run white hot grids from time to time when doing real fusion or over exuberently driving a demo unit. If you just want to make a glow lamp that's fine, but star mode and real neutron production require a bit more energy than an unsupported helix might bear up under.

Richard Hull
Progress may have been a good thing once, but it just went on too long. - Yogi Berra
Fusion is the energy of the future....and it always will be
The more complex the idea put forward by the poor amateur, the more likely it will never see embodiment

Return to “Fusor Construction & Operation (& FAQs)”